• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one more solution to add to steering issues

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
as i was reading through some other steering issue posts, i remembered a problem my wife had with her jeep and the fix for it. i figured i'd start a new thread so people might see it instead of it getting lost in another thread. at least for now. lol

if you've removed/replaced the pitman arm from the steering box, and then re-installed it with the original pitman arm nut, it might work itself loose.

after installing my wifes lift and replacing the pitman arm, we noticed a couple months later that the steering was getting sloppy. after checking everything over, i noticed the pitman arm nut was loose. so i tightened it. a couple months later we had the same issue and i tightened the nut again. when it happened a 3rd time, i decided to try and replace the nut. BUT.......of course i couldn't find just a nut at the time, so to fix the problem i removed the nut and heated it until the whole thing was glowing orange. i then set it upright on the ground and VERY GENTLY tapped it with a sledge hammer. that put enough of a crimp on the nut that it hasn't loosened up since. it's been almost a year now.

scorpio_vette said:
as i was reading through some other steering issue posts, i remembered a problem my wife had with her jeep and the fix for it. i figured i'd start a new thread so people might see it instead of it getting lost in another thread. at least for now. lol

if you've removed/replaced the pitman arm from the steering box, and then re-installed it with the original pitman arm nut, it might work itself loose.

after installing my wifes lift and replacing the pitman arm, we noticed a couple months later that the steering was getting sloppy. after checking everything over, i noticed the pitman arm nut was loose. so i tightened it. a couple months later we had the same issue and i tightened the nut again. when it happened a 3rd time, i decided to try and replace the nut. BUT.......of course i couldn't find just a nut at the time, so to fix the problem i removed the nut and heated it until the whole thing was glowing orange. i then set it upright on the ground and VERY GENTLY tapped it with a sledge hammer. that put enough of a crimp on the nut that it hasn't loosened up since. it's been almost a year now.

You don't think it was the lock washer rather than the nut? I would think the lock washer could have been pretty smashed and not doing it's job as well after time.

Back