• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 non disco u joint upgrade

anotherskait

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 92 XJ with D30 hp front end. 31x10.5 MTR's

I installed an RE 3.5" lift kit late this winter and immediately had problems with the front U joints chirping/squeaking/clunking. I replaced both U joints with brand new Spicer 260's and everything was grand for two weeks and the chirping came back a little at first, now it's getting on my nerves.

I know I shouldnt need bigger U joints on this setup, but figure that I've had problems once already, might as well upgrade.

I've got a set of the 297 shafts/joints etc all lined up and just want to make sure that theyre a direct replacement for the shafts I have in there now. I believe the donors came from a 95 YJ with D30 front end. I've searched around on the board and cannot find any info for non-disco axles.

Is this as simple as pulling the wheel/hubs/calipers, switching the shafts, and closing it up?

Thanks

I just did one a few weeks ago. Got a 4.10 geared disco axle out of an 87 XJ with the smaller u joints. removed the axles, hubs and even knuckles (caliper mounts are different) from the 87 axle, and swapped in the non-disco axle, hubs and knuckles from my 90 XJ limited with ABS (gives the bigger u joints)
it all swapped in easy as can be (except for 1 bearing being bad, but not feeling bad until back on the road....grrrr)

anotherskait said:
I've got a 92 XJ with D30 hp front end. 31x10.5 MTR's

I installed an RE 3.5" lift kit late this winter and immediately had problems with the front U joints chirping/squeaking/clunking. I replaced both U joints with brand new Spicer 260's and everything was grand for two weeks and the chirping came back a little at first, now it's getting on my nerves.

What makes you think it is the front axle U-joints that are making the noises?

The swap is easy, pull the old, put in the new. But it doesn't sound to me like this is your issue. Also the shafts from the YJ are disco shafts (center shaft) and yours are non disco correct? Just FYI, your spare shafts probably didn't come from a YJ.

Michael

Thanks for all the info.

fuzzydog - it sounds like you put your non-disco shafts into a disco axle. Im doing the opposite (pending verification of where the 297 axles came from). I hope its just as easy for me.

2xtreme - The noise gets significantly louder going around corners and is at its worst turning in 4wd. It's a similar sound to the last set of U-joints (though not as bad yet) and I figure worst case - I'll have the stronger U joints before I swap up to 33's and actually need them.

I'll verify what this came out of.

Does it matter if the new shafts with 297 came out of a disco axle or a non-disco axle? Im getting a little confused as to the differences between the two. I know disco axle drive shafts don't spin in 2wd and non-disco axle drive shafts do spin. It sounds like there a difference as to where the axle seals are, but are there any differences in the axle shafts themselves?

Last edited:
"Disco" shafts are in two pieces for the passenger side. Don't ever think disco shafts came with 297 u-joints. If your shafts are one-piece, they are not disco shafts.

ok, then no you cannot swap disco axles into a non-disco housing. The housing won't have the disco mechanism, and won't have the proper housings for seals and bearings.

If you already have a non-disco housing, you will need to get non-disco axles with the 297 u joints.

xjbubba said:
"Disco" shafts are in two pieces for the passenger side. Don't ever think disco shafts came with 297 u-joints. If your shafts are one-piece, they are not disco shafts.

95 wranglers came with disco axles and 297 U-Joints...

That's good info to know--if it's true. One of the main failures of a locked D30 front is busted u-joints. Would be nice to be able to up-grade an early disco to 297 joints. Not for me, but for others.

but still, for the original poster - even if he did get 95 wrangler disco shafts with 297 ujoints, the disco side is not going to go into his non-disco axle housing

I definitely have a non-disco axle but havent confirmed where the new shafts are coming from yet.
When I go to check it out, I'll make sure that there are two shafts (left and right) and not 3 pieces (left, right inner & right outter)

I had the shafts out when I did the U joints recently so I should be able to recognize the difference.

Thanks for the input.

Since I'm picking up the 297 shafts used, is there anything I should check out to make sure they're good? I know to check the splines on each end.

Is there anything else that can be beat up on these?

Any year with ABS has the big joints....I have a 90 model axle in the Heep..

Just make sure the ujoints aren't tight... they should move smoothly in all directions...and make sure inner ends where the seals ride are in good shape.

...and about knocking off the tone ring....is there any downside to not knocking it off? I didn't when I put my 90 non-disco ABS axles into my disco non-ABS housing. all seems to be working ok....but....

fuzzydog said:
...and about knocking off the tone ring....is there any downside to not knocking it off? I didn't when I put my 90 non-disco ABS axles into my disco non-ABS housing. all seems to be working ok....but....
If it fits, I can't see any downside to it. As I recall, mine rubbed on something... or it was gold and I didn't want the prettiest thing about my jeep to be the tone ring!

Back