• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speaker locations on a xj

mideerslayer

NAXJA Forum User
where have you guys installed speakers on a xj besides the frt doors and sound bar in the rear. Im lloking to make it look like it was original, but i need some more speakers:music:

well its not really relevant b/c it would be right next to the front doors' speakers...but i just finished helping a friend wire up his speakers on the kicker panels because he took his doors off and still wanted some tunes up front.

This used to be my old setup:
DSC00389.JPG

I installed a set in the rear door.
just tighten down the panel real tight so it doesn't rattle at all.
if you want, pm me and I'll try to get you some pics.

If you have vent windows, you can install 2 6.5" speakers in each front door. Mine are cut for them, and I can get a pic if you want, but the speakers aren't there. They have found a new home in my truck (DD).

What speakers do you have now? You can get plenty of sound with a good set of components and a good amp.

I had 2 pairs of Alpine R series components in my doors, running off 2 alpine V12 amps. It was loud enough to damage your hearing. I only used 1 pair of tweeters though, otherwise you'll through off your sound imaging....if you care about that stuff...

I only put 1 pair in my truck, and it's plenty loud enough for me.

The kick panels are decent locations, but not in a Jeep...at least if you wheel it.

The rear hatch is an option, but this location sucks. It's a stock location in early XJs, and there is a reason Jeep moved them to the soundbar.

When it comes to good sound it really is "quality, not quantity".

I am in the process of wiring up speakers myself. The truck only came with the door speakers (though it was missing one when I got it) and is wired for hatch speakers, so I am attempting to mount a pair of 4x10s from my old 82 chevy pickup back there. There is enough room just have to fab up a mount for each. The grille in the hatch door panels are only for the 4.5" or whatever the stock speaker would have been but we will see how it works. I still have to get new speakers for the doors and finish wiring up the stereo. I dont plan on mounting any in the dash area, the mounting locations look a bit small, though maybe ok for a tweeter of some sort.

I put four 5 1/2" coax's in the front door kick panels and rear hatch, stock locations. Not planning on any deep water holes. Plus I put in a 10" sub in a box floor-mounted R/H side of the cargo compartment. The amps are: main one under rear seat, sub amp on the R/H rear cargo sidewall right next to the sub.

It's nothing like some of the ricer stereos that are currently deafening the youth of America, but it puts out plenty of volume and good quality for my purposes.

You'll probably dig this...

speaker1.jpg

speaker3.jpg

Just gotta be a little creative with a sawzall and drill.

Works great, I've been running them there for years and they sound terrific. I just run a smallish two-channel amp with an iPod connected directly to it (no head unit).

DSC01781.JPG

edit: I should also add that the rear windows still go up and down fully.

Last edited:
vetteboy said:
I just run a smallish two-channel amp with an iPod connected directly to it (no head unit).

DSC01781.JPG

edit: I should also add that the rear windows still go up and down fully.

Nice! You sure don't have to worry about the amp getting wet!

I thougth about running some tweeters upfront on the dash...Kind of in the front corners. That way, once I put the sub in there, i'll have NICE highs to go with my mids and lows.

Back