• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funky noises, can't pinpoint

TrueBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Specs: '96 w/ RE 3.5" SF, 31x10.50 TrXus MTs, AX-15 trans? (2.5L 5-speed).

I hear alot about "vibes," and I'm guessing this is one. I don't feel it, I just hear it. It shows up around 65mph but not when my foot's on the gas, only when I let off. It's started showing up at lower speeds (55-ish) when I'm in fourth gear, but again, only on release of the pedal. And I can hear it when I'm rolling in fourth gear and I press on the clutch. Front driveshaft? Transmission? Sounds like it's coming from somewhere under the shift stick. I'm leaning toward front driveshaft.

T-case drop? (sitting in the garage)
SYE? (can't afford it)

If this is something that has recently showed up, check your U-joints.

If this is indeed in the front DS, a T-case drop won't help. They help the rear DS angle, but actually hurt the front.

Another thing it could easily be is a bearing somewhere.

Try to do what you can to pinpoint the noise....safely (as in don't stick your head out the door going 65... :laugh: ). Try pulling your front shaft and driving it to see if it goes away.

The noise at 65 was the first, so I just didn't go 65 :D

But these new noises (or same noise, different time) just started showing up last night.

Are the U-joints greasable? Cuz if so, they need some.

What would I need to pull the front driveshaft? Any specialty tools required?

Sounds like the rear axle pinion angle is a degree or so too low.

If you have a TC drop kit, use it to see how it works....tons easier than axle shims...imho

I didn't think a t-case drop would be that big of a deal, but the instructions mention something about possibly having to cut a hole in the floorboard to allow stick travel. How likely is this with a 3.5" lift t-case drop?

You should be able to adjust the shifter without cutting anything, I've never heard of this.

You really need to find the problem before you just start guessing.

To pull your front shaft you just need common hand tools...a 5/16 wrench works good.

By pulling the front shaft you are eliminating the front as a problem. If it still makes the noise, start looking at the rear.

And start by checking the U-joints!!! Yours may or may not be greasable. When these start going bad they will have the exact symptoms your describing. It will get worse over time from noises, to vibes, to your DS falling out!!! If you have never changed the joints, get new ones anyway! They are cheap, and usually easy to replace.

Since this has just started showing up, it's going to be a "wear" part such as joints, bearings etc...

If it is the U-joints, correcting the angle will help out with the life expectancy of the new joints, but not the vibes caused by the old ones.

Back