• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Precise way to measure wheelbase?

djohnsn

NAXJA Forum User
Measuring wheelbase seems obvious enough, but I discovered my wheelbase appears to be about 2" shorter than the 101 3/8" published in my FSM (before installing my new RE drop brackets, braces, and JKS upper and lower control arms). I do have a lift that I am replacing (installed by a previous owner), so I don't have stock baseline. If I push the axle forward enough to match the 101 3/8", the wheel is no longer centered in the wheelwell.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious. Any ideas?

BTW: It is a 98 XJ with 5" DPG coils, JKS upper and lower arms, and RE drop brackets and braces.

It's not especially important to match the factory spec, and once lifted there's really no reason to. Just make it so that everything works and leave it. Many of us are running with the front axle pushed forward a few inches anyway.

For measuring it, I've found that holding a tape measure at the middle of the wheel and having someone else do the same on the other wheel works fine.

vetteboy said:
It's not especially important to match the factory spec, and once lifted there's really no reason to. Just make it so that everything works and leave it. Many of us are running with the front axle pushed forward a few inches anyway.

For measuring it, I've found that holding a tape measure at the middle of the wheel and having someone else do the same on the other wheel works fine.

Yep measure it that way. All the stock cherokees I've seen measured have been within an inch of 101 though. Mine sits at around 6" lift and sits at 101. I think I extended my LCAs half an inch. Like Vette said, what ever works best.

If you run big tires, flex your jeep to stuff a front tire in the wheel wheel then adjust for best fit. I put some water on the axel tube and used a small chisle to mark the drop at the center on the lowest part of the tube. This will give you the center of the tube on each side of both axels. After you adjust to fit make sure both sides are the same. I think the factory sets the driver side a little shorter for the crown in the road. see gojeep's website for that.

Back