• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some help

manuelxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have searched befor some one askes i might be searching for the worng thing but here we go lol

after years of beating on the rear end the pinion yoke has finally let go it is bent and let the new ujoint move to much snaping a bolt thatgoes to the ujoint strap so l got all the new parts new yoke beter drive shaft and all...the prob im having is i cant get the pinon nut to come lose i have the right size socket on it with a 2foot braker bar on it with a 3 foot cheater on the end of that and the thing wont budge ...im looking for ideas as how to go about brakeing it lose i have it soaking in pb right now hopeing that helps some...thanks for any tips and advice ...

When all else fails, PB and similar products have done the trick for me.

Only other option might be an impact wrench, or a longer cheater pipe. I did find it necessary to use a 6 ft cheater pipe recently on a wheel nut after buying tires at Wally World! I was amased the stud held up! Did not break, and the nut finally came loose.

Ecomike Only other option might be an impact wrench said:
holy crap, Batman.... 5 feet or breaker and cheater and no loosey??I don't think I've ever needed that much mechanical advantage to remove anything-- are you sure you're goin' the right way??

I'll agree that it sounds like time for Mr. Impact Gun. You may annoy the neighbors, but hey, they can move if they don't like it!

--Shorty

haha yea prob is i dont have an imact or compresor to run it lol im gona try it agian tomarrow leting it soak tonight if that doesnt do it im gona tow it to my buddys shop and use his tools lol

manuelxj said:
haha yea prob is i dont have an imact or compresor to run it lol im gona try it agian tomarrow leting it soak tonight if that doesnt do it im gona tow it to my buddys shop and use his tools lol

I bought an electric impact wrench recently at Harbour Freight for something like $25 on sale.

Isn't that pinion nut like 250Ft lbs or something, enough where you could literally pull the jeep off jackstands. Two footer might not be big enough.

You could put the cheater bar end on the ground and then lower the XJ with a floor jack, let the weight of the jeep do the work. If you are military go borrow the compound wrench they use for the drive wheels on the tracked vehicles.

Back