• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 to 231 swap???

ktilcu

NAXJA Forum User
What would i need to swap from a 242 to a 231. I have been looking because my 242 is getting ready to blow and i don't have any 242's around here to replace it. So what i'm looking for is what is different between the two that i can try to plan for. I hear that the front driveshaft yokes can be different. What about lengths? Both will be 23 spline input. also shift pattern is different correct? Any thing electronic that i will need to change? What about the dash lights? Can they work? Thanks for the time and help.

i did this swap on my 92. as you already mentioned, the input splines need to be the same. for the shift pattern, I got a 231 shift gate, though, I don't think it's 100 percent necessary.

Other than that, it's a pretty easy swap. Front yokes will be the same on both. If you get one from the same year range, there should be no problems with electronics either.

I think they will interchange up to 96 then I think the spline count changed. I would not count on the dash lites working the same as with the 242 because you have nothing to send the fulltime signal to that lite.
As mentioned by Intrepid I would also change the gate and the console indicator because you want to know what setting you are using in the transfercase at all times and the 231/242 are different as you already know.

spline count is the same from like 91-01 (whenever it went from 21 to 23)

ZachMan said:
spline count is the same from like 91-01 (whenever it went from 21 to 23)

Good to know. I thought the part number for the 242 changed at 96 and that according to my buddy who works at a stealership that was due to a spline count change. Glad you set me straight on that.

ok sounds pretty straight forward. When i get the 231 is thre anything i should replace have it out... unfortunately no money for sye ... maybe later...

The input shaft fron the tranny may be a differant size. I came across a 231 with a smaller size. Some kid on CL said there is no other size. Glad I'm coming to all of you now

a stretched chain would be how much slack? Should there be any slack? And what color RTV to put the halves back together? What about input shaft lengths?

Last edited:
ktilcu said:
a stretched chain would be how much slack? Should there be any slack? And what color RTV to put the halves back together? What about input shaft lengths?

Anyone for these q's.

Back