• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good, but cheap GPS

Hmmm ... you do get what you pay for... but you can get good deals on older Garmin units on eBay or similar. I prefer Garmin but there are others as good. I use an old GPSIII+ and I'm not ready to sell it, the new ones don't have any features that I need. I recommend an external antenna.

A nice no frills gps to consider is the Garmin Etrex.

If you want all the extra doo-dads, be prepared to pony up some cash, but do you really need to know what the barometric pressure in Zaire is?

I've used my Etrex everywhere from on top of my tank in Ft Lewis, WA, to Ft Polk, LA and in my Heep all over the country, and I really have no complaints. It's been dropped off the top of the tank, and subjected to the PNW rainy season (like there is a dry season) and it keeps on ticking. I prefer to use the MGRS(military grid reference system)

I actually did a side by side with the military's PLGR (high speed gps with the security code) and there was less than a 5 meter difference between the 2

HTH

John

I as well use the garmin etrex and love it I only paid 80 dollars for it on sale at best buy

I have to give my vote to the Magellan Meridian unit.... the plain one has only 2mb mem on it, but you can add 128MB SD card and you're good to go :D

Back