• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm upgrade?

OR2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
How tall is tall enough? I have thought about putting a long arm on my 2000 XJ...on 3 inches. Is it rediculous to put a long arm setup on "only" 3 inches of lift? Would this seriously limit how much higher I could go? No taller lift is in the near future, but 4.5-5ish is a possibility in a few years.

Just wondering.
Thanks

It would be a waste to have a LA kit with only 3". If you plan on going taller down the road, do the long arms then. Long arms won't limit how high you can go, but up to 8" should be enough for a rig, IMO. Hell, some guys run 5"+ with short arms, but they have drop brackets. A quick search of 'long arms' should turn up some more info.

I would go 4.5" - 5.5" with long arms and 33's or 35's. 8" is a little silly and not needed for an XJ. About 5" of lift, cut fenders, and some TNT Customs longarms will keep your CG low and very flexy. I have RE 4.5" with drop brackets.....my brother has the TNT longarms and they are awesome on and offroad. Great system.

Brady's XJ said:
I would go 4.5" - 5.5" with long arms and 33's or 35's. 8" is a little silly and not needed for an XJ. About 5" of lift, cut fenders, and some TNT Customs longarms will keep your CG low and very flexy. I have RE 4.5" with drop brackets.....my brother has the TNT longarms and they are awesome on and offroad. Great system.

Your brother must be much much smarter than you. Learn from him, for he will go far in life.....

Yes, I have 5" lift, 33's, TnT longarms and cut fenders and I'm money. Rides smooth, and does great offroad. Seems to be a perfect, balanced setup. I may change out shocks and springs soon since it's been about two years of DD use, but I plan on staying at about 5" since it's worked so well for me.

The RE 4.5" or 5.5" kit is great, but ditch the drop brackets and go longarms. Better yet, get the full TnT Sytem from www.tntcustoms.com . It's the RE 5.5" kit supplemented with a few Tnt bits and pieces. Great all around kit, and you'll save money in the long run.

Chris

Mine sits at 8'' on 35's and it rides great. I did a nice high steer setup w/ dedenbear ford flat top knuckles and parts mike steer arms. But theres no way the ride quality would be possible w/o the long arms. Def worth it if your goin higher (5+''). Up to you. :thumbup:

ckh550 said:
Your brother must be much much smarter than you. Learn from him, for he will go far in life.....

I'm just curious about this statement? Is it because he has DB's and his brother has the TNT setup? How do you know he didn't do the RE kit before TNT was available? Think before you speak, for you will go far in life.....:D

-Mike

I'm just curious about this statement? Is it because he has DB's and his brother has the TNT setup? How do you know he didn't do the RE kit before TNT was available? Think before you speak, for you will go far in life.....:D

-Mike

Or it could be because ckh550 is in fact Brady's brother... :dunno:?

Mike L said:

-Mike

Yeah yeah he's my bro. Brady was close to selling his jeep about a year ago...he spent 3 days at home with me, and I encouraged to get the 5.5" RE kit and 35's. Yes, I'm a good brother. But I tried to talk him into going LA and didn't listen. HA, shame on him haha.

Chris

Back