• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Confirm my suspicions? (Main Bearing Replacement Write-Up?)

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
This bearing is fawked, no?

bearing.jpg

Can I replace just one bearing or do I have to replace them all at the same time? Anything specific I should ask for at NAPA?

Thanks,
Billy

Re: Confirm my suspicions?

I'd replace them all at the same time. A little extra work for peace of mind and longer life. I mean, it'd suck to have to drop the pan all over again in order to do the same job on another bearing, right?

:)

Yes, I'd replace all of them, but before that you better find what caused that, somewhere there is metal floating around that motor. At this point there may be some in the oil pump. It didn't just appear there.

A lot of times I'll flush the oil sytem with kerocene to clean it up. I have an old bathtub I uput under the vehicle and just start pouring the kero. For oil passages I use and an dish soap bottle then blow it out with compressed air. Make sure you wear safety glasses though...it bites getting metal removed from your eyes!
BTW, I reuse the kero, I use an electric fuel pump and pump it into a kero can that is fitted with a coffee filter to get the chunks out....works great.

JS

Billy, how did it run when you pulled it apart? Was it like that when you pulled it apart, or was it an accident caused by you somehow? How many miles on the engine? Now I am not going to say it looks good, but if it was running Ok before with no noise I wouldn't even think twice about slapping it back in and running it. I see no bronze showing through so that's good. How does the crank look? Can you feel any scoring with your fingernail?

Bryan C. said:
Billy, how did it run when you pulled it apart? Was it like that when you pulled it apart, or was it an accident caused by you somehow? How many miles on the engine? Now I am not going to say it looks good, but if it was running Ok before with no noise I wouldn't even think twice about slapping it back in and running it. I see no bronze showing through so that's good. How does the crank look? Can you feel any scoring with your fingernail?
I agree I did that on a 375 hp Pontiac 400 back in my youth and it ran for ever and I treated it pretty badly. Just smacking it with a tool could of did it. That is pretty soft material. Flushing it good would be adviseable like posted though, just to know you did. I'm assuming you didn't find the culprit in the bottom of the pan of tub you dumped into.

Bryan C. said:
Billy, how did it run when you pulled it apart?
Good.
Bryan C. said:
was it an accident caused by you somehow?
:anon:
Bryan C. said:
How many miles on the engine?
Bryan C. said:
How does the crank look?
Good.
Bryan C. said:
Can you feel any scoring with your fingernail?
On the bearing, yes. Nothing on the crank because I fubar'd it after I took it off
redface.gif

Thanks,
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Actually, I didn't think the removal was that bad. Scary as hell when the doc is describing it, but not too bad after the drops :D
Billy

hahaha....thats bad..... I had it done once, got a piece of aluminum in my eye at work, and I was wearing saftey glasses....lotta good they did. Yeah, those drops are strange. I had a patch on my eye for a couple days.

Oh well, gotta check some posts and get ready for tomorrows shoots...

JS

Bryan C. said:
I see no bronze showing through so that's good.

Looks like bronze on the top middle of the bearing....I wouldn't slap that thing back together....and $80 isn't bad for a set of bearings. Just make sure you get the right ones. Advance can show you how to plastigage it to make sure you get the correct ones.

JS

JS4309 said:
hahaha....thats bad..... I had it done once, got a piece of aluminum in my eye at work, and I was wearing saftey glasses....lotta good they did. Yeah, those drops are strange. I had a patch on my eye for a couple days.

Oh well, gotta check some posts and get ready for tomorrows shoots...

JS

You were probably lucky that it was aluminum. I got a piece of steel in my eye and it started rusting immediately. I didn't have to wear a patch, but I had to put goop in my eye for a day and a half.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
You were probably lucky that it was aluminum. I got a piece of steel in my eye and it started rusting immediately. I didn't have to wear a patch, but I had to put goop in my eye for a day and a half.
Billy

x2

I got a piece of metal in my eye, but it happened way after I went home from the shop, showered and was resting. I thought it was just some normal debris, no idea what it was... By the time I went to the clinic, it had rusted fairly badly and they had to work to get it out. *shudders*

It wasn't painful so much as it was uncomfortable. I'd hate to do it again. It took a long time for my eye to feel right again. Also, if you're ever getting MRI work done (or is it CAT scan? I forget...) you have to tell them you've had metal in your eye.

:eek:

MRI is the one to look out for-- the "M" in MRI is for MAGNETIC-- anything magnetic will be pulled straight toward the machine (which is rarely a direction you want it pulled) and rip it's way outta where it has been! I had an MRI and it tore a "small" hole in my bicept from a chunk of "crap" I had been carrying in my elbow since grade school!

Shorty said:
MRI is the one to look out for-- the "M" in MRI is for MAGNETIC-- anything magnetic will be pulled straight toward the machine (which is rarely a direction you want it pulled) and rip it's way outta where it has been! I had an MRI and it tore a "small" hole in my bicept from a chunk of "crap" I had been carrying in my elbow since grade school!

Must have been an older MRI machine as the newer ones use less power, my last MRI a year ago February they said the your belt and everything on and I was all the way in the thing and nothing happened with the belt. They even left the metal splint on my arm. They had to do my right shoulder that I njured in a fall and found three tears in the rotator cuff, two of which were old (one from a wreck 2 years earlier). Anyway the power is way down on the newer machines and won't pull stuff out of you...or off!

JS

your belt is firmly enough attached that it wouldn't go anywhere. a piece of metal in your eye (even after it was removed) should be mentioned to the Doctors and MRI techs (there could be other metal in your eye they missed). I'm a 2nd year medical student and we were just in the hospital the other day getting our training on all the diagnostic imaging equipment. The major problem with small pieces of metal like that isn't only the magnetic force that will pull on the piece of metal (it may be secure enough to not get pulled through your eyeball) but the fact that the magnetic field is rotating and it will therefor cause the metal to want to snap in the other direction so it is in proper alignment again with the magnetic field. That is why they can't do MRI's on patients who have surgically repaired brain anyeurisms. Because in the days before Titanium was used, the older metal clips used to tie off blood vessels were magnetic and when the magnetic field would rotate around the patient, the little metal clip would want to snap backwards to be in alignment with the field. The new MRI machines are still strong enough to pull metal objects flying across the room. we had to removed all of our metal items including watches... but belt buckles where okay b/c they were secured. The lab tech walked in the room with a dog leash. Holding on to the handle, he let the metal clasp go and it went flying towards the machine. IT HOVERED IN MID AIR. Then he handed us a pair of hemostats (think surgical needle nose pliers) and you could feel the pull on them, but then he told you to hold them upright, instead of poinging at the machine, and once you overpowered the force to hold it upright, it jerked the hemostats back. He also pointed out the deep scratches all over the entrance to the machine that had occured from all the metal objects that have flown into it... people forgot to empty their pockets. The janitorial crew apparently forgets to use the aluminum latter to change light bulbs as well and the big wooden latter with little steel screws goes flying onto it. FYI, they keep those machines on 24-7 b/c it costs more to turn them on and generate the field from a cold standstill then it does to keep it running 24-7 with moderate use. You definatly want to let them know if you have any lead pellets (from BB guns) or other such metallic objects in your body as well. Copper BB's should be okay as they aren't metallic but the techs and docs still want to know as it will definatly interest them when they see it in your body.
Sorry to be so long winded but i didn't want for ANYONE to read this thread and get hurt if they went in for an MRI thinking they would be okay with any such mislead info. I am definatly not an authority on MRI but I think the dozens of classes and hands on MRI training gives me a little more insight. If you are going in for an MRI, consult your doctor on anything like this that you may be concerened about (any pieces of metal in your body, etc) that is what they are there for.

Back