• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" ZJ coils=3" XJ coils? is that right?

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
Wow those look really unstable. FYI 4.5" re zj springs give a xj 5.5", since they are a stiffer spring. Soft springs=bad.

Ramsey said:
Wow those look really unstable. FYI 4.5" re zj springs give a xj 5.5", since they are a stiffer spring. Soft springs=bad.

true and the stock ZJ springs give ya 1" extra over stock XJ springs, so the 2" ZJ's must be 3"...
but the coils look kind of scary...

Yikes. Those things look INSANELY soft. Not a good thing. And for that amount of advertised height, they don't coil nearly enough, even for "soft rides." Scary as shit, don't buy them. And yeah, they're for the rear.

Hmm, are PORC any good? compaired to RE and skyjacker?

Ya'll are special, with the exception of two of you. The coils aren't "insanely soft", they are rear coils. Hell, even if you didn't know that just by looking at them. You could figure it out if you bothered to read the ad.

selarep said:

Amusing that they are using the same picture for every auction, regardless of applicaton.

From what I have heard PORC springs are pretty good. I am running their 4.88 ring and pinion front and rear and am happy, plus PORC gives lifetime warrenties on almost all their products includeing ring and pinion sets. I am sure I will be useing that!

selarep said:
true and the stock ZJ springs give ya 1" extra over stock XJ springs, so the 2" ZJ's must be 3"...
but the coils look kind of scary...

Um, no they don't. We need to be clear about this. Stock ZJ coils are the same length as stock XJ coils. ZJs with V8s have a higher spring rate and when put in a 4.0L XJ will give an additional 1" of height. But that is from a stiffer spring rate not length. If I was to ever come across a "soft" spring for a V8 ZJ, I would assume there would be no benefit. I used ZJ V8 springs for a budget boost. I would never buy ZJ lift springs to put in an XJ. I would buy the proper lift springs for my application in my XJ.

91 Jeep Project said:
Just a fyi Kevin. The RE "5.5 XJ" coils sold in the 5.5 kits, are in fact the ZJ 4.5 coils.

"COIL SPRINGS XJ-5.5 / ZJ-4.5 RE1345"

That's cool that they are interchangeable. I can't speak to the differences of after market springs. I just know that the length of stock shocks are the same.

I can appriciate wanting to use the spring for the specific vehicle...but alot of the spring manufactures call there spring ZJ/XJ springs.
Look at RE as an example.

Powerman said:
Um, no they don't. We need to be clear about this. Stock ZJ coils are the same length as stock XJ coils. ZJs with V8s have a higher spring rate and when put in a 4.0L XJ will give an additional 1" of height. But that is from a stiffer spring rate not length. If I was to ever come across a "soft" spring for a V8 ZJ, I would assume there would be no benefit. I used ZJ V8 springs for a budget boost. I would never buy ZJ lift springs to put in an XJ. I would buy the proper lift springs for my application in my XJ.

kewlkatdady said:
I can appriciate wanting to use the spring for the specific vehicle...but alot of the spring manufactures call there spring ZJ/XJ springs.
Look at RE as an example.

But again, that is because they are the same spring. ZJ and XJ coils are the same spring. There is no difference between 4.0L XJs and 4.0L ZJ springs. ZJs that have a V8 need a heavier spring to compensate for the added weight. Some XJ owners also want heavier springs to compensate for their added weight. So they are interchangeable, but you have to compare apples to apples. To order springs you need XJ or ZJ. If you want them stiffer get them stiffer. If you got 3" JZ springs for a V8 and put them on you XJ, you would get 4" of lift and a stiffer ride.

wait... powerman, did you know that the 2 door XJ coil springs have a higher spring rate than that of the V8 ZJ's? therefor, putting ZJ coils on my jeep would do nothing. Infact, 4.5" ZJ coils would be a 4.5" lift for my 2 door 98 XJ...

Back