• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler Q please gimme input

Mutant_Xj

NAXJA Forum User
At the JY today I went hunting for a trans cooler and came across a few in the ford section. I pulled 4 different ones, 2 were stock from a newer and older explorer and two were aftermarket one from and explorer and one from an econoline van

DSCN0635.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

The biggest is from the van, and the two black ones are the stock and the copper is the other explorer. My question is which one would be the best for the trans, I'm thinking the biggest one but the ford coolers are designed different, I don't know if they'd be more efficient. And the other two are a litte beat up, not too bad though. And also which would be better for a PS cooler. I was thinking of putting two in mine and the other two in the jeep I'm going to build for my girl.

Sorry for being long winded and thanks in advance
Damien

Plate coolers are better than tube and fin coolers!

I figured that but wanted to be sure. The newer ford cooler is plate and fin so I'm assuming that would be better yet. I just wanted some input before I put them in.

If I get a third plate cooler would it be a good idea to have a tranny, power steering, and oil cooler? I was thinking if two would fit behind the bumper like GoJeep's tranny cooler and one in front of the drivers side radiator. then build a shroud and get a small fan for the two coolers behind the bumper. I could then cut some holes on the bottom section of the bumper for better air flow.

in your first pic the 1st one on the left
the stock exploder that's the one I run... one for the trans and one for the steering...they fit perfect in front of the AC condensor I used the stock mounting tabs just had to bend them a bit so I could drill a hole through the header behind the grill and mount them

Back