• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Winch Bumpers

xj.jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for guidance on making a rear winch bumper for my Cherokee, was thinking of having a winch inside the bumper so all you see is the fairlead and cable coming out the bumper. Sort of like this, but fabricating a new bumper and not using the factory one.

cherokee_rearwinch.jpg
cherokee_rear.jpg

Any one made one or know of a link ?

Thanks,
Gary.

XJJEEPER.NET

Im planning one that would be inside the hatch with just the fairleed on the bumper and the control box inside the bumper for protection but I havent seen one done yet

steelmen said:

If you think you are going to nose into a bad situation and bury your winch you can pre run your cable under the jeep and hook it to the rear tow point. Then you just pull from under your rig backwards. The diffs acked as cable guids and it works well. So like steelman said why? I have a buddy that has his winch on a reciever hitch on the front and on his latest rig he didn't even bother to run power for a rear winch hook-up.

thats why people dont wheelin by themselves

get friends ...problem gone

anyhow its not my rig...im not gonna hate...good luck

Sam

Some reasons why I like the idea of a rear winch...

Not everyone I wheel with has a winch and if im at the back of the group and need to get pulled back i have to try and do it myself (some trail here are narrow tree lined tracks so there isn't room for someone to drive back past you to help pull you back.
Where I live we have mud, lots of it and it can been almost imposible to keep traction when pulling someone out using a rope.
Not heard of using the winch cable under the truck before,(one for future reference), though i dont like the idea as i have plasma and dont want to chew it up.
I was thinking of making a rear bumper and thought when i was at it maybe fit a winch in there .......just thought it could be useful.

Thanks,
Gary.

(Fantastic site by the way!)

Ideas concerning off-road set up are very different here than in Europe. For ideas, check out LRM or Land Rover World to see what's been done on D90s and 110s. I know they have more options for rear-mounted winches, but it might give you some ideas. One idea might be to cut some slots in the floor of the hatch and tie a winch plate into the framerails from above with some steel plate (even stronger/easier if you already have a hitch), then find a way to route the cable out the back (back through the floor?) so you don't have to have the hatch open.

Get a multi-mount and switch it from front to rear, thats my plan. It will stay in side the Jeep until needed for either side.

multimountsa are a pain in the arse, thinkabout trying to make a 2" reciever with some heavy arse winch under mud/water. not to even mention your electrical connections too! I applaud the idea and wondered why more guys dont do it. A small 4k pund job should fit nicly behind a custom bumper and prolly do the trick. I would think you could use a much smaller winch on the rear just knowing you would have to snatch block it most all the time.

Back