• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker/carrier question

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well one of my friends started a project on another persons jeep before he really knew what he was doing, and now his jeep has been sitting on jackstands for the past week while hes been trying to install a lunch box (aussie) locker:doh:

ive done a few, and its really no big deal, but were trying to take a trip to the national forest on friday, and with my schedule im not going to have much time to help him before then

so i was thinking. i have a spare carrier that came with a 3:07 ring gear. it should be ok for me to install the locker in my spare carrier, take off the 3:07 gear, replace it with his 3:55 ring gear and swap it in correct?? both carriers came from 96s?

could there be any problems, so long as i remember to swap ring gears

rocketman is correct, the shimming of the carrier sets the depth and pattern of the gears. To use yours the gear set up would have to be done.

Whats the problem with the lunch box? They are easy to install.

dang..oh well

the problem is the kid cant get the carrier out of the diff. ive installed lockers in diff before, but this time we cant get the cross pin past the gears, so its got to come out so i can remove the ring gear. hopefully tomarrow ill have to go help him out and see if we cant get it out

yep...pryed with everything we can find

im gonna place a rag over the ring gear and turn the driveshaft, and see if the pinion wont force the carrier out..if that doesn't work were SOL...or he wont be locked for a while

Simple!Grind the ring gear to get the cross-pin out,done all the time!

RCP Phx said:
Simple!Grind the ring gear to get the cross-pin out,done all the time!

+1. Get in there with a grinder. Piece of cake. If the gears are set up properly, the pinion shouldn't be bearing on the tip of the ring gears anyway.

X2 I used a dremel to shave down one ring gear tooth to pull the pin on my D30. If you are talking about a Chrysler 8.25, it is easy to set the backlash. There are threaded caps in the sides of the carrier to adjust carrier position in the housing.

Back