• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tilt steering loose

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
any one have a link how to fix this , pretty sure its a matter of tightening some bolts in the colum , my search doesnt seem to working for the last day now can any one help?

Don't know what year you're talking about, but I had a problem with the steering wheel assembly in my '88 having too much play. Turned out to be 4 bolts buried deep inside the assembly were loose. Full disassembly was required to get to them. Best you get the details out of a FSM for your year and model. I had to remove the wheel (easy part), then all of the guts underneath, including steering wheel lock, ignition lock, turn signal stalk, and myriad little levers, springs, and rods. Disassemble slowly, take pictures, or make detailed drawings of what goes where, and the orientation of each piece. I believe I've seen something about this in this forum, so I suggest a search here, or here using Google. And please, for safety's sake get it fixed soon.

There's a good write-up floatin' around the interweb. It's for a the El Camino with the GM column.

There are links on this forum for it. Try a search for loose steering column.

ya everytime i search all i get is page cant be displayed been like that for two days now. I have seen that link but now i cant find it.

I have it let me see if I can find it. It is a time eating job but it is fairly easy. DO IT RIGHT AND TIGHTEN THEM ALL!! There are four torx head bolts. you will also need a tool to pull the column pivit pins. I will post the write up in a few.

Here it is elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

It's a GM/Saginaw steering column. You'll need to buy a pivot pin removal tool to remove the pivot pins. You should be able to get one at a local autoparts store. I did a write up somewhere in the AMCeaglenest forums on it. It should take you less than an hour. Oh, and make sure to get some red loctite to put on them 4 bolts once you finally go to retighten them. If you lived near me, I'd help you out on this.

Back