• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Long Range vs Driving lights???

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
New bumper coming from AJ and I am going to buy lights for it. What is your opinion on Driving vs long range? Why? Experiences? etc.

Thanks!

For offing flood or fog lights work best for me. Two on the outside are pointed down and crossed over to give a very wide view. Also good for a spoter to see his way. The two in the center of the bar also point well down but in front.
I don't drive very fast on the trail so I don't have much need for 150 watt long range type lights.

it really depends on when you'll be using the lights... I use mine on backroads a lot, so I use some ebay-specials that have a driving light-style beam. a definate pattern visible at 100 feet, although at that range it's around 10 feet wide per light. they're slimlite-style, so they have a pretty nice flood pattern, too. they brighten up around the XJ on the trails, but not annoyingly bright.

If you're doing mostly low-speed offroading, then just go with fogs. They'll throw the light around a lot more, and still throw it far enough to be useful as flood lights. If you're doing high-speed stuff (roads, desert), go with driving lights. If you have room for more than 2 lights, add long-range lights.

like I said, I'm running driving lights. 4 of them on my roof, two aimed around 100 feet straight out, and two arimed at the ground around 40 feet out. Two different switches, so I can pick which lights I need. the short ones are mainly for when the turns get scary at night, or some dipstick decides to cut out in front of me and drive 15 under the speed limit.

Lightforce makes a light that is adjustable from flood to pencil beam.

Worth looking into.

lightforce are awesome... strongest lights you can get (shoot them with a shotgun and it doesn't break), but also very pricy.

Properly done, a "driving light" is a "long range" light...

The purpose of a driving light is to extend the forward reach of your headlamps.

Given the sort of terrain we tend to find ourselves in, tho, I'd want to get a set of white floods (for trail work and the like) and a set of amber fogs (for when you get socked in - putting a white light in a fogbank is like being inside a ping-pong ball. Same with snow, and thick, fine rain. Amber lighting is VERY MUCH an improvement there!)

Honestly, most of us don't drive our XJ's fast enough to get a true "pencil beam" driving lamp - so, no reason to. Extending headlamp reach with a set of E-codes is plenty - you can always uprate the bulb there, if you decide you want a little more (I don't really drive fast enough to use my 90/130W "Super White" H4s, they're more for ricers with their "bloo" headlamps. The look on their faces resembes "The ships have landed!" more than anything else...)

I have a set of pro comp 55s and love them. I use them as supplements to my poor XJ headlights. When I turn them off at night, I'm like WTF, I can't see shit! So I keep em on all the time.

This is my second set of procomp 55s, had another on my old MJ that I sold. I like them alot because they work just as good as the more expensive hellas, and you can get replacement lenses and everything for them. if you get a rock in a hella, you need a new one. Also, you can buy amber lenses and fog lenses for them, and switch for different sitations. I have the driving lights one and love em.

Dirk Pitt said:
Lightforce makes a light that is adjustable from flood to pencil beam.

Worth looking into.

Warn Does also plus you can adjust them from inside on a switch and I think they are a lot cheaper than Lightforce.

Back