• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Issues w/ 98XJ

luke_the_duke

NAXJA Forum User
Hi -
I just got my 98 XJ a few weeks ago, and its got a few electrical issues and I'm looking to see if anyone else has had these:

1. My jeep has the factory overhead console, but the console lights, courtesy lights, and rear dome light stay on all the time, doors shut or not (at first I thought they didn't work, turns out someone had removed all the bulbs, I now know why). I'm thinking the headlight switch might be bad, as it controls the" constant on" for overhead and courtesy lights. What do you guys think?

2. The rear license plate light does not come on, and I have checked, the bulb is good. All the tailights work (though I haven't checked the high brake light), and the electric lock works on the tailgate, so what could it be? Is it related to #1?

I also have the apparently common problem of the power windows only operating from the drivers door; I haven't had a chance yet to see if its the wiring in the kick panel or the lockout switch itself thats bad (I've read the threads on this problem).

My overheads stayed on all the time way back when as well. Turned out one of the door switches had gotten jammed one time, and didn't open properly when the door was shut. I duct-taped a dime onto the door to provide some additional height to the striker surface and it worked fine. Might want to check each of yours manually to see if it helps.

This might seem like a dumb question, but you didn't happen to turn the headlights switch, to the left I believe. To turn on the inside lights and forget they were on, by chance?

The rear cargo light is also a switch, I hit mine accidently one time when it was new and could not for the life of me figure out why the lights would not go out. Two hours later as I was about to start tearing into the wiring my wife read the owner manual, walked back, pushed the rear light, click, closed hatch, lights went out....:dunce:

Back