• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi lift on the hood?

Tree Frog

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried this? I don't want it on my rack, or ond the bumper, but I would like to get it out of the back.

I was thinking about just using the TJ hood hinge mount setup and just bolting it to mine.

What do you think?

my friend has one with the mount kit you can buy for the hi-lift. he has a padlock he shoves through one side too to keep thieves from gettin at it. Looks good and is very functional.

I know a bunch of wrangler guys who have theirs on their hoods, or a shovel and pick. I think it would look pretty good, but I don't have a hi lift or want to drill into my hood at the moment.

Do you really want the thin sheet metal of your hood holding a heavy jack mearly feet from you face? It doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I considered putting mine on the hood. I laid it out and the loss in visibility over the front (very, valuable off road) was just to much.

I know a coulpe guys, one east coast, one west that tried it and didnt like it. One takes it off the hood and put it in the back when he wheels. The other mounted it on the rear bumper to get the visibility. I mounted mine on the stock swing out tire carrier vertically.

John

i did for a while and the thin sheet metal was very unsettling... also i have 36 inch tires and about 7 inches of lift= a pain to get off...

I know it's tough to see in the pic.

but we welded 3 bolts to the rear bumper then mounted the hi lift there.

I use my 4 way lug wrench to get the hi lift off

5587.jpg

Voluster said:
I know it's tough to see in the pic.

but we welded 3 bolts to the rear bumper then mounted the hi lift there.

I use my 4 way lug wrench to get the hi lift off

5587.jpg

Me likey!!!Why not the white one too??

Jess said:
Do you really want the thin sheet metal of your hood holding a heavy jack mearly feet from you face? It doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I was going to make 1/8" backing plates for the inside. That way the hood be sandwiched.

What do ya think?

Tree Frog said:
I was going to make 1/8" backing plates for the inside. That way the hood be sandwiched.

What do ya think?
I still think there are better places for a 30-pound spear of metal than right in front of you. Visibility is going to be an issue, and the first time you slip while trying to put the jack back in place you're going to be pissed that you need a new windshield...

I have done it....

I do not have a roof rack, or basket. I do not yet have a swing out rear bumper. I have 2 small kids with car seats in the back so I did not feel that under the seat was good. Also because of the little ones I did not like the idea of it just bungeed in the cargo area.

For me the hood was the much lesser of evils.

I currently have it sitting on 2 half-hockey pucks with 7/16 bolts and large fender washers on the bottom.... for now.... I plan on having the hood sandwiched between 2 pieces of 6x1x.25 flat stock. My paint is pretty marginal and having the jack mechanism rub a bit has not been an issue for me. The flat stock will take care of that.

For visibility I lost almost none. I set it slightly to the passenger’s side and only the jack foot is in the way...The loss of visibility is only over by the FM radio antenna.

The Jeep sees only about 3,000 miles per year.... but sits outside from April to October.

The jack is on the hood only for wheeling. In Michigan we get too much rain and road salt to leave it there full time.

I spray the jack down with WD40 before and after each trip to the Hood.

For now the hood is the best place I have to mount my Hi-Lift.

Thanks JAS.

I' still thinking about it. The TJ hinge kit is only $40, and $15 more for the locking kit.

One of the local guys is going to cut matching 1/8" plates to go under the hood so theres no chance of the bolts pulling out int a crash.

My XJ sees more miles than yours, but it's still not a daily driver.

Pop out the base of your back seat and slide it right under your passenger seat. Use a stud and a wing nut to hold it against the metal back seat base on the floor. Keeps it out of your view and saves it from damage, rust and mud. If you mount it outside carry a can of WD-40 to spray on it when you need to use it. Better throw that thing onto the hood on some rags to see if you can stand the view before you invest.

I threw the jack on the hood and snapped some photos.

The first one is of just the hocky puck half bolted to the hood.

HalfPuck.jpg

This is of the jack on the hood. Please note the scratches are from me having to crawl out onto the hood instead of wading in icy water up to my Hootus.

50percentview.jpg

There is a slight arch to the hood and I do wish the pucks were a bit taller. I do have a wear spot from the jack on the hood. It has yet to wear through the paint.

PaintRub.jpg

Here is the drivers seat view. Notice the hood is visbile everywhere to the left of the centerline except for the handle isolator. That is very minimal loss. If I lean forward or just sit up I can see the ALL of the hood in front of the the Jack.

LeftDriversView.jpg

Here is the passengers side. I can see the corner of the hood. The minor loss of vision is mostly to the area just to the right of the front passengers tire. It is quite minimal and by sitting up or leaning foward you can see around it. Even in the picture you can see the hood just barely above the jack handle.

RightDriversView.jpg

I figure the hood is a compromise position. Yes, the jack is in the weather and possibly the mud. Much less mud than when on the bumper. But no place is safe from the goo that I run in. While I have not swamped the interior yet... It is only a matter of time before the interior gets swampped with the dirty smelly Mounds water that I wheel in.

It is easy to get too. It is never under a bunch of gear. I could even do wing nuts to make it easier... however I carry a 6 inch adjustable in the center console for things like clevis pins and the CB antena and the jack bolts.

If you like it on the hood great. If not that is also OK... you can store your jack wherever you like.

Thanks

Jeff

Back