• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WEEKEND WORK....

XJsurf

NAXJA Forum User
Just a couple quick questions for you guys that have been around the block a couple of times. Getting the weekend worklist ready for a 97 XJ. Finally putting the re 4.5 leafs on the rear that have been sitting around my garage for about two months. The front welded bolts have broken loosen on the front perches. Can I reuse the same bolts or can I pick some up at the local hardware store? What size? I'm also replacing the front passenger side wheel bearing? Is it absolutely, positively need a whole new hub assembly??? Only reason why I ask, because my parts store has a bearing assembly for 150 and another for 60 bucks. U joints for the rear driveshaft??? I have a tom woods w/sye and 8.25 rearend. What would be my best bet for them???

Also anybody interested I have a set of used RE 3.5 rear leafs to trade or sell?? Trying to find a ford 8.8 to build up and swap out.

You can reuse the metric bolts for the new leafs. Make sure you torque them After you get weight on wheels.
I thought the front unit bearings were a sealed unit.?
Any 1310 ujoint will work, I use mostly spicer or TW gold seal ujoint.

Also a quick tip on the leafs, install the front hanger first. The shackle will fold forward making install easier on the rear. (just replaced mine Tuesday.)

The front bearing units are a one peice sealed unit. You must replace the whole thing
post-32-1170117210.jpg

The unit I replaced, this time, was so bad it fell apart when I got everything loose.

Back