• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys Tie Rod Conversion

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
i did some searching and read some bad things about it and also read that rustys are working the "kinks" out has anyone bought one reciently or know anyone who has im thinking about getting one but i i dont want to get the one that sucks

polar_jeep_04 said:
i did some searching and read some bad things about it and also read that rustys are working the "kinks" out has anyone bought one reciently or know anyone who has im thinking about getting one but i i dont want to get the one that sucks
my advice would be save up for something better, don't skimp on your steering, the curry HD system is a simple swap and much stronger, a bit of coin but worth the piece of mind!!
IMG_0294.jpg

Good timing, I just got back from the parts house where i replaced one of the tie rod ends. 39 bucks for moog. If i had it to do over again, I would get something else. Not sure which one sucks, but if you look at it, the design is bad. its almost impossible to align. you have to take a tie rod end out and spin it to adjust. cant just turn the tube and tighten it because of where the drag link ties in with it. This setup has creaked and groaned since day one, and wanders all over the place. My two cents. Im gonna go now and see if just the one end is bad.

I had Rusty's 1st gen tie rod steering (about 5-6 years ago) and it absolutely sucked- dont know how the kit is now.

Here's my current set-up I've got $260 in the whole thing.

1.25" dia., .281" wall, DOM links tapped to 3/4"- 16
QA1 3/4" shank, 5/8" bore Heims
Poison Spyder mis-alignment washers and jam-nuts
You do have to drill out your knuckles and pittman arm to 5/8" for this set-up

Simple and works/handles great.

P4160006.jpg

i have rustys "tie rod conversion" or whatever you want to call it.( its like a knuckle to knuckle tie rod and then the drag link attaches to the tie rod.)
it is absolutely horrible
you can wiggle the tie rod and drag link back and forth and it is just horrible.
spend your money on something worth it.
ive had horrible death wobble and i believe it is because of that system considering i have replaced everything in the front end except for that crappy steering system.

Just yesterday i ordered a whole new system from Poison Spyder Customs for $270.

i Ordered 1.5" .250 DOM tubing, tube adapters, misalignment washers, jam nuts,3/4" - 16thread heims(5/8" bore).
and its pretty much gonna look the same as above.

Do it right the first time. dont buy something crappy, break it the have to buy what you should have bought in the first place

well i guess it depends also on how much lift your running, how big your tires are etc...
for me im runnin bout 6" lift and 33's and beat the crap out of my steering. i simply need something bigger and more beefy. for some rustys steering will work great but for most it just isnt beefy enough.

depends on how much you wheel and how you wheel.
Shomsky

does anyone have a link for the Poison Spyder Customs kit? i would like to check it out it looks pretty good. i will admit i dont like the y set up on the currie and factory and the rustys kit does look hard to align.

got a 3.5 inch lift in my '98 xj DD with the rusty's conversion 'bout 5 months ago, drove it hard all winter, over rail beds and breakwater rocks with no problem

no wobble at highway speeds up to 75 ..pain to align myself...had to have my shop do it

have no idea how they are in a higher lift

for the price, i'd say they are decent upgrade over stock

those of you guys running any of the knuckle to knuckle tie rods, how badly did you rub on the sway bar mounts, and track bar bolt? What about the diff cover, any interference there? Thanks.

I have had mine now for 6 months. No problems yet. I felt no diffrence when I went from the stock to this system. I did have death wobble once, but it was due to a loose trac bar mount. 6.5" of lift with 33's.

clearence is not an issue on mine at all it doesn't rub anywhere . as for the alignment i just measured the old setup from knuckle to knuckle before i removed it and set the new kit up at the exact same distance. then set my steering wheel in the center position with my wheels straight and adjusted the draglink

I just installed the Rock Krawler steering on my HP30...I got the HD bracket, and track bar for 6+" plus the steering kit for $350.

This is probably the strongest steering setup I have seen. Every thing is solid stock.

etaniyani said:
those of you guys running any of the knuckle to knuckle tie rods, how badly did you rub on the sway bar mounts, and track bar bolt? What about the diff cover, any interference there? Thanks.

Normally thats only an issue if they are installed OTK. But that might depend on the kit.

I had mine installed for a day, couldn't get it aligned right myself so I took it to a shop, they said they couldn't get it aligned right, so after hours of trying they finally got it, I watched them the entire time and they did a great job, I drove it home and got major death wobble, both tie rod end nuts had backed off and then siezed, the shop did tighten the nuts down, so in the end, I had massive paper weight, a buddy of mine saw it sitting in my garage, he used some muscle and got everything apart, replaced the ends and the jam nuts with the highest quality stuff he could find, he has been running it for almost 3 years with no problems, guess I just didn't have the magical touch

Back