• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5 pattern?

alwaysready

NAXJA Forum User
assuming using stock axles what would the best? ( least costly?) approach be?
i know you could use spacers to change them.
are there any direct parts swaps?
what about drilling the existing axles and installing new wheels studs?

on another note are there grand cherokee axles that will swap over with the with rear disks?
ive read a bunch of threads on swapping rear disks form the grand but what about swapping whole axle assemblies?
are they same width?
thanks

On the front you can use the Unit Bearing Assemblies from a WJ and that will give you 5x5. The rear is tough unless you swap an axle out of a WJ for the rear but I think they are wider than a stock axle plus if you swap a 44 out of a WJ they have an aluminum center section. You maybe able to order a set of rear axle shafts with the desired bolt pattern for the rear but you will have to drill the 5x5 bolt pattern into the drums or rotors.

On my dana 44 rear, (86 Xj donor) there was not enough axle flange material to have them re-drilled to 5x5.5. This I learned After the machine shop had plug welded the 5x4.5 bolt cirlce holes. Costly ....
I replaced the shafts with Superior shafts that are drilled for either 5x4.5 or 5x5.5. Then I only had to re-drill the brake drums to 5x5.5.

Back