• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep doesn't always start?

ZJeepX

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 xj 4.0 AT starts most of the time but occasionally it wont. When it doesn't start i mean it doesnt turn over or anything, most of the time if i put it in nuetral and push it a foot or two i can get it to start, but then other times it wouldnt started no matter what i did. so i would leave the car and try again the next day and it would start like nothing was wrong. What could be wrong? Somebody told me that it might be the starter solenoid so i replaced it and that didnt work. My dad says might be my ignition but im not sure, i just dont see how it could work 90% of the time then randomly not work at all. Any body have any ideas or maybe know what is wrong and how to fix it? Thanks

When it doesn't start, is there any juice at all? Next time it happens, turn on the headlights with the key in the on position: no light/weak light? Electrical connections at the battery terminals.

If the headlights work, try wiggling the ground wire while someone else holds the key in the "Start" position. No luck, try this: get a jumper cable and connect it to the negative battery cable, and the starter motor body. If this allows it to start, check your engine ground cable, then pull the starter and clean the mounting face.

all electrical works fine when it doesnt start, no loss of power. The starter doesnt kick in at all so the engine doesnt even get a chance to turn over, its like the ignition isnt connected

Another possibility: neutral safety switch on the trans?

By the way, in my first post, I could have said "turn over" instead of "start". I kind of figured is was acting dead, and not turning over.

My 2000 has the shifter slightly out of adjustment and I'm WAY to lazy to fix it. About once a week, I get in it and it won't turn over. I push the shifter all the way forward, and it starts.

OK, now I feel like an idiot. I don't know which side the NSS is on.(Like I said, I'm too lazy to fix mine,..) I'm pretty sure it's on the drivers side. Look for where the wiring harness plugs into the trans. There's a pie slice shaped housing that the connector plugs into. This is the NSS.
Here's a link to a rebuild article:

http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/Downloads.htm

Look for the link labeled "Neutral Safety Switch rebuild article"( ok, that was redundant)It also has several pics of the switch. Look over the rest of this guys site. Lot of good info here.

Back