• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Question

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
is any body firmiliar with the clutch safety switch on the 5 speed 97+? i am in the process of wiring up a manual override so i can start in gear in 4-lo. it would be nice to add a kill switch too, which it seems all i need to do is make the circuit incomplete because when i unplugged it, it wouldn't start. am i right? now i don't have my voltmeter at the house and i've spent a few minutes trying to figure it out but what do i need to do to make it start without pushing in the clutch? complete the circuit? if so could i just find out which wire is positve and wire it to a grounded switch?
Thanks!

My 99 FSM shows a clutch interlock switch in the circuit leading to the start relay in the PDC. There is also a jumper that is present in AT models that bypasses this, and it appears it just goes in place of the switch. The fuse for this circuit is in the junction block, fuse # 19, and the wire is yellow/red leading to the switch, and yellow out. Both wires pass through connector C-100, the first at pin E7, the second at pin E8, if I'm reading the diagram correctly. That probably doesn't help much, since C100 is the monster connector through the bulkhead, and has more pins on it than a porcupine. I haven't looked in mine, but I'm guessing that the switch itself will be somewhere under the dash in the clutch pedal linkage.

I'll try to look at mine later and see if I can find the switch.

The #19 slot in my fuse panel on the pass. side has a 10 amp fuse in it:helpme: you are correct on the wire colors though... the switch is located on the top of the clutch pedal, where it goes through the fire wall. the wires are connected with a dark green plug and one end, coming up from the floor, has yellow/yellow+red wires and the other two right off the switch are both black...

figured it out. Thanks for the help! oh and in case anyone was wondering... a switch which connects the two wires together (essentially a jumper wire with a switch) will over ride the safety feature and a switch which is in-line with either wire (original pos/neg) will have the ability to dissable the circuit, making it tough for anyone else to start the jeep with the switch off
thumbs.gif

Back