• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuse Number 9

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 Jeep Cherokee Country. Just the other day i was driving down the road and my radio cut off. Fuse #9 was toast, which is the fuse that supplies constant power to my radio, interior lights, cruise control, and power door locks as far as i know. I have disconnected my radio and all of my wiring from the factory harness and checked continuity to ground on both polls of fuse number 9. The 12v supply to the fuse is fine. The other poll was a dead short to ground. There is a dead short to ground somwhere between the fuse block and some device on the jeep. I have removed EVERY relay i can find and checked continuity and still have a dead short. I have disconnected all the door lock switchs and interior light switchs... The only thing left that i can think of is the Keyless Entry Module (which i can't seem to find) and the Security System Module (i can't find that one either). I dont even know if mine had factory keyless or security. ANY help would be appreciated! It would also help to know everything that Fuse number 9 operates... Thanks Andy!!!

Jess said:
you should know if you have keyless entry if it has the thing on the ceiling near the rear view mirror.
Yupp....its the only curcuit board i can think of for that system....

You didnt mention checking the radio itself...If its aftermarket. it would be the first thing id lookat....splices=potential for blue smoke.

EDIT: nm i see you said you disconnected it...but if its still aftermarket, did you disconnect the stereo form the stereo harness or the aftermarket harness from the jeep one.... You may have but i wanna throw out everything i can think of...

My thinking is that if you are measuring from the socket to ground with the door open......you may very well find a short because you are measuring through the bulbs.....the interior lights.itll give very low resistance.....did it blow another fuse after the first one blew? you may have just turned the stereo up too loud.....try another fuse. Unless you allready have.
then itll be good luck and god speed

Last edited:
Nope... I tested everything you mentioned with no luck. All my splices are good on my radio, I take special care of my radio, thats what i do for a living...lol! Anyways after spending 5 hours on the problem yesterday i was driving to work and it hit me! The over head center console in my jeep is missing and the harness is shoved back above the head liner. So i pulled it out and sure enough it looked like a melted stripped back chunk of plastic. So problem solved! In the end it was somthing that needed very little attention after i took apart every possible panel in my jeep that could be removed and stood on my head in the floor board for 5 hours... LOL!!! Thanks! Andy:gee:

Back