• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highly Modified

eetwiXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello..

I have been planning some serious modifications to my XJ to happen in the very near future. I have a few questions and discussions to perhaps start in regards to it. First off, I have a red 99 XJ 4wd 4dr 4.0, stock except black steel wheels, 30" BFG AT ko, airaid CAI and TBS, and dynomax cat back, halogen headlamps..... and thats pretty much it. Oh.. and an AIWA cd player, thats exciting.

What I will be doing sometime in the next year (balancing the wife's education and my time has since been prohibitive to starting thus far) is very all-encompassing. Keep in mind, first and foremost, I do not plan on doing any HEAVY duty offroading in my jeep. It is a daily driver, but I often camp and hike and like to mess around with friends on trails. No rock climbing or insane mudding. I wouldn't mind some fjording. (sp?) =o)

1. Let's start with the powerhouse.. I was the guy who asked about an LS2 fitting in the compartment a few months back, since then I have decided to max out the power from the fine I6 by stroking it and I have decided to go with Avenger's Supercharger. Along with all that, the HESCO aluminium cylinder heads and I am going to obviously upgrade the fuel injectors, water pump, probably going with an MSD ignition and all new wiring and hoses and cheap, but necessary updates and upgrades. Exhaust will be finished by adding Thorley Tri-Y headers and the random technology CC.

Question the first... how does the airbox fit into a supercharger equation? Does a supercharger or turbo take the place of the whole induction system, or is it naturally aspirated until the power adder kicks in? Sorry for my ignorance, I've just never messed with them before, so I don't know exactly how that part works. The reason I ask is because I want to get the ARB snorkel and I'm wondering how that will work with a supercharger.

Now, I have had a very hard time finding shots of someone with a stroker and a supercharger/turbocharger application. Does anyone have one, and if so, what is the most desired setup? I am guessing a 4.5/4.6L stroked with low compression pistons and about 5 psi of boost.

2. Moving on to the suspension and drivetrain. I am looking at the Rancho RSX suspension package, including coil springs, shocks, and new leaf packs, 2" of lift from stock. I'm staying with 30 or 31" tires, but going from my current 9.5" width to maybe 11.5". I like the RSX shocks because they "adapt to road conditions," however they do that.. my guess is tiny gnomes with hand and arm signals. Previously, I have admired Skyjacker, but until someone can sell me otherwise.. I like what Rancho "has to say." But nothing is better than customer review/input. So my second question is, what do yall think about the suspension systems, and how far can I backspace my tires. I prefer not to stick out an insane amount, I like things to fit neatly.

After the suspension, I am probably just going to get better axel shafts and a locker and diff cover for the front end and a Dana 44 (from the very-nearby and always reliable Currie) in the rear, I'm looking at most likely Detroit true track. Question 3, does anyone have detroit lockers, or have any experience with the truetrack model of locker and if so what is your opinion of it?

Heavier duty driveshaft will be a must, and I know nothing about transmissions so Question 4, what are some good options for the tranny? I will be staying automatic btw.

3. Exterior. Simple stuff, ARB bullbar front bumper, custom rear bumper with dual exhaust tips in the rear, center-mounted like on the SRT8 and Roush customs --custom tubing from the dynomax cat back; bushwacker fender flares, ARB roof rack, tints all around, rock rails on the bottom panels and a thick black "racing stripe" up the center, and a cowled hood (available on quadratec.com) to fit the supercharger with ease; 4 roof rack lights, and 2 fog lights on the ARB. Probably go with a 6000lb winch, just in case... blackout lights rear and side vents near the fenders on the sides akin to the Ranger Rover sport. And frame stiffener joists on the undercarriage.

4. Interior. 10 point rollcage, popup sunroof (reinforced) Garmin GPS mounted in place of the weather controls, new custom upholstry, new speaker system, rear view, and last but not least... one of those pine tree lookin' air freshners.

Your first thoughts might be "this is going to cost a fortune." I estimate about $25,000-$30,000 at the most. A lot of people tell me "dude just buy a new car." But as all of you on this website already know... it's not "just a car." So this is where I finally turn for some good advice and input.

Your Thoughts?

Tom
Temecula, CA

wow. thats one hell of a shopping list.. my first question to you is who will do the install on all this stuff? the simplicity of some of your questions makes me wonder if you are really up to some of this stuff. otherwise cut the parts budget by 50% and consider the other 50% to be labor/install charges.

sounds like a hell of a mall wheeler when you're done though.

Wow, that is quite a list. Hopefully after I graduate I can afford to put that kind of money into my XJ. I have a couple of questions though. How are you planning to route the dual exhaust so it exits in the center? Is it going to go under the gas tank, have some crazy bends like a snake, or are you going to move the gas tank? Any exhaust mounted under the rear bumper will get bashed if its taken off road. For your application move away from companies like Rancho and Skyjacker to companies like Rubicon Express or Old Man Emu. I am guessing since you want to stick with around 31 you are looking for a 3" lift so both RE and OME offer quality kits for that size. There are a couple of other items in your list that need to be thought out a little better. Spend some more time searching and reading posts on this forum to get a better idea about building an XJ.

Don't know why you would want to build a beefed up Xj as a daily driver but just my opinion on all this...

I don't really know much about the Avenge Charger so NO COMMENT
the HESCO aluminium cylinder heads
Good choice. The Rocker boxes are set up to except a good set of roller rockers... DO THAT.
upgrade the fuel injectors, water pump
www.fiveomotorsport.com is the place for the injectors and a www.flowkooler.com water pump #1747 Flowing into a Rock-it Thermostate housing Feeding a CSF All Metal 3-row radiator.
Exhaust will be finished by adding Thorley Tri-Y headers and the random technology CC.
Doesn't seem that any header being put on a XJ is bomb proof and I don't have personal experience with the Thorley so once again...no COMMENT. Yet I do have experience with the Random Cat. Don't waste the extra money. Get a High Flow Magnaflow for 1/3 the cost and it will do great. The random has ceramic disks that sound like crap after they crack or even shatter.
dual exhaust tips in the rear, center-mounted like on the SRT8 and Roush customs --custom tubing from the dynomax cat back
Going to have to be all custom bent. Don't reall know even how that is going to be done.. if it can be. First you'll have to come off the muffler with a y-pipe.. yada...yada...yada. Sort of silly in my opnion.
Moving on to the suspension
The Rancho should give you a nice firm ride for the street. Doesn't sound like a bad pick to me.
Being that I have no experience with the Bushwacker flares I don't really know how much that opens up the wheel well so guessing on backspaceing would be just that. A guess. I would stay around the 31x10.5 tire size. A wider tire just puts more strain on stockish drivetrain componets. With the amount of power you'll be turning the axles may be OK with a set of AlloyUSA Chomos. Upgrade the front U-Joints and have them cryoed. I would regear with Cryoed gears... (I'm a fan of Cyo, can you tell?)should be fine with 4.10s. Using a Truetrac up front will be fine being that you don't do heavy off roading. If you want to leave two black marks during a burn out rather then one you'll have to do something completely different in the rear. Your talking about going big so go with something selectible>ARB. OX. ect....
Don't forget that your going to have to stop this thing also. Think about a TSM rear disk brake kit
ARB roof rack, ARB Bull Bumper
Great company. Love my lockers. Yet http://www.rigidco.com/ Makes a bumper for alot less that is bomb proof. This bumper will include a winch mount, front bulkhead brace and full side plate stiffeners that go well past the steering box mount... GOOD STUFF!! Even will accomidate a per-runner style bar for the lights your talking about. The rack??? What ever floats your boat. I run a Con-Ferr.
Them
cowled hood (available on quadratec.com)
Are sweet. I want one. The only Advenge I ahve seen installed was on a Tj so the hood clearance was not an issue for him.. us XJ boys might be another story. With running a snorkel??? I just don't know. I run the ARB snorkle but Air Flow makes one with a more direct route then the ARB. May look into that. How it connects with the Avenger is a question for the Avenger staff is my best guess.
Winches are the SHISNIK!! I have used mine more then I can count... most the time it was to help soeone other then myself! Upgrade to a 8000LB. Well worth it.
Interior. 10 point rollcage
A sunroof and a cage... nice. The cage is nothing to skimp on. On the street or off road it may just save your life. IF your going to do it then make sure you know what your doing first. Don't just stuff bars in places and put buger welds on things. If you have the abilites then more power to you, if not.. have a pro do it and pay them.

As for the tranny?? May want to call Hesco and ask them what they are running behind their engines. I would like to know what you come up with.

I cant comment on most of that, but Ill try my best at most of it.
1. Since your going to be stroking the 4.0, why not buy a complete Hesco stroker, and have them do all the stroker work and bolt on their head. Do either a 4.6 or 4.7L, and that should get you a fair amount of power.
2. Dont use the MSD ignition. They are a waste of money, and dont have any major improvement.
3. If you want the best lift, I would go with a Old Man Emu 3'' HD lift. You can find several vendors on NAXJA that will answer all your questions about this lift, and give you some great deals on them. Might look into some wheels and tires off of the Rubicons. 31'' MTRs, and tend to be fairly cheap.
4. The side vents I cant see how they would help any. Might look cool, but other then that would serve no purpose.
5. I would look at other bumpers. The ARB is rather expensive, and there are some better bumpers out there
6. The 6k winch is the bare minimum. I would advise at least a 8k or even 9.5k.
7. For a rear 44, unless you have a lot of money, which it seems you do, I would look for a 44 out of a Cherokee. Get a locker, and some alloys, and your set. For the front, might try an ARB and some alloy shafts. Get some heavy duty diff covers for both.
8. For that amount of money that you are listing, you could be able to build a fine ass cherokee, but if you shop around, and do most of the work yourself, I dont really see your budget going over 10k, but that will depend on what you end up doing.
Id say you wheel it for the next year, and then figure out what you want to upgrade. Your list missed several things that you might want to do before you start getting into a 350hp ish engine.
Other things I might suggest before some other things:
Tow points
slidders
safety equipment
upgraded steering
skid plates for tcase and gas tank
Thats all I can think of now. Search around here, and look at some builds, and see what you like.

No, thats not prof read, so Im sure there are a lot of mistakes. :nono:

I agree with just having Hesco build the engine. Avenger install instructions says that it must start on a good running engine from the get go. Having Hesco build it and dial it in is a good idea. Just some guys like building there own stuff... like me.
I also agree with the "opening a can of worms" method. Once you get started on this project you may just discover something that you want or need. I.E. Tow point, skid plates.... Doing it all at one time is not always the best way. Yet Starboard keep in mind that this is more of a street build then anything else.

uncc civilengineer said:
Why not just keep the XJ stock (its fine for what you need to do)... and buy a built buggy????

or a van????

pecuz i am not into instant gratification, man.

And now, in response to other posts that answered my questions with only other questions... haha, which is guess is the nature of internet forums, yes, this is more of a daily driver.. as i said in the first posting. And no, I obviously can't do all of this myself, and I'd wager 50 or more percent of people on this forum can't either, but I want to do as much of it as possible.

Thanks to all the responses that contained valid comments, I appreciate it.

Tom

thats a crazy list for a daily driver take a look at avenger superchargers they make one for an xj i have no experience w/ it but it loooks good atleast and your better off getting a older xj dana 44 for a daily driver currie axles are very nice but for a DD that is might expensive unless u have an endless budget and like it was said a few posts up not only are you looking to spend quite a bit on parts you also have to figure in labor to get the stuff put it this is not lightwork if you dont know what your doing stuff like axles are not something to try yourself or you could end up spending even more $ to fix your mistakes

I can only comment on the bushwackers, I think they will look oversized compared to 31x10.5s. And not needed, a 10.5 will still tuck nice and not stick out enough to be noticable when properly backspaced.

MUST RE...SIST

StupidQuestions.jpg

DAMMIT

barillms said:
You must be rich.

Not really, when you think about it. And I'm not rich at all. I make about $50-60k a year and my wife (when she's done with school) will make 40k+. Right now she makes 20ish. So thats a little short of $100k/yr when all is said and done. Also... spending $25k on a car is only for the rich? Come on, man... Rich people's "platinum grill's" cost more than $25k. $25k will get you like a semester at an ivy league school. How much is a brand new Jeep Cherokee MSRP? Or a Range Rover Sport? Exactly. That's rich. I just happen to like my Jeep and instead of getting a new vehicle, I'd rather just drop the same or less money into improving my ride and having something that I take pleasure in building and that is unique.

As far as the bushwackers go with 10.5's. I agree, proper backspacing will allow 10.5's to fit under OEM flares. I'll have to look into that and see if I can save a buck or two. Those things are outrageously priced.

So nobody on here has an Avenger in their XJ? What about the Thorley Headers? It's always been a toss up between the Edlebrocks and the Thorley's for me. I was also thinking of just staying with Dynomax for the whole exhaust. Their cat back system made me happy, and I'm 99% sure they make headers and a cat for 84-01 XJ's, right?

edit: plus I drive 50 miles a day to work and back, with california gas prices. That is a large factor in my selections. Maybe that helps "rationalize" my choices... Okay, how about I just cut off the entire back end like the Africana, then extend the rear axel about 12" and add a truck bed? I have a picture of what that would look like, but apparently I can't put it on here without a html link.

Tom

Last edited:
Sounds like a good bit of money wasting to me, i mean if your only going to 31s you really dont need a supercharger or a stroker. Unless you plan on drag racing it. A lot of crap you dont need for the lift youll be putting on it. And yep there are headers made for the 4.0L just a real beeotch to put in, course youll be pulling the motor, which will make it significantly less crowded putting them on.

hirollerco said:
Sounds like a good bit of money wasting to me, i mean if your only going to 31s you really dont need a supercharger or a stroker. Unless you plan on drag racing it. A lot of crap you dont need for the lift youll be putting on it. And yep there are headers made for the 4.0L just a real beeotch to put in, course youll be pulling the motor, which will make it significantly less crowded putting them on.

Okay, I don't need a supercharger or a stroker, that's true. But I don't need anything. I think you're missing the whole point here.

I would also suggest skipping the supercharger, at least for a while. Get a stroker in there, might be more power than you expect/need. That would be one less headache and still make for a nice rig. And if you do decide a year down the road that you want more, then go FI or nitrous. Not because you need to, but for the sake of saying you did.

98XJSport said:
I would also suggest skipping the supercharger, at least for a while. Get a stroker in there, might be more power than you expect/need. That would be one less headache and still make for a nice rig. And if you do decide a year down the road that you want more, then go FI or nitrous. Not because you need to, but for the sake of saying you did.

Right. Otherwise, I guess I could just trade my jeep in for a nice Corolla.. or maybe a Hyundai. =o|

98XJSport said:

The only problem with that solution is I'm pretty sure If I put a stroker setup in my engine and say, have a compression ration of 9 or 9.5:1 and THEN after the fact try to put a supercharger or turbo in, it will result in detonation. Anyone disagree?

Back