• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what are the popular wheel swaps?

alwaysready

NAXJA Forum User
in the process of buying an XJ im thinking of upsizing the wheels..
i was origianlly thinking of going to the 17" commander wheels and running adapters to change to the 5 on 5 pattern. but then i saw some moabs and think im going to go that route now. any other popular swaps ? are there any other D-C wheels from the trucks or anything that fit? looking at either 16 or 17" wheels. Just curious whats out there..

I think you'll find that most people on here and other sites that cater to off road types tend to stay with 15" usually, because the tires are much cheaper for 15s than 16s, 17s or 18s and for off road use, theres no benefit to low profile tires.
Mostly, the only ones running larger diameter wheels are the guys running 3/4 ton axles with big brakes.

I know simply due to cost people dont upsize but, these 35's on 18's look sweet..
131_0703_02_z+jeep_wrangler_jk+drivers_side_view.jpg

Just looking for other alternatives for a DD

Last edited:
You asked what was popular.
They may look sweet till you take them on the rocks and turn $1200 worth of wheels into $30 worth of scrap aluminum. Ok, maybe not "scrap", but you get the picture.
My personal feeling is why lift it and put 35s on it if you arent going to take it offroad? Status? Ive got no one that I feel a need to impress.
Ive got enough to worry about (banging the body or the undercarriage up) without worrying about banging up expensive wheels.
No thanks, its nice looking but its a poser.

oh granted it is a poser but people do go out and run the heck out of the moabs on the trail, even though they are 16" aluminum and scratch and get rock rash easily..
Ya i guess i titled it wrong i should have mentioned upsizing and it was going to be for a DD and seen mostly mud. rocks are of course an issue with any wheel that doesnt have bulging sidewalls. let me rephrase that rocks are hard on any wheel. i was just looking for other wheel options that are easy swaps like the moabs..
And i would wheel the hell out of that jeep if i had it, regardless of what wheels are on it..

Pro Stock John said:
I put Moabs on my 95, pics in sig....
Looks nice there John. Wife even said your truck looks sharp :)
plus for me to put a little lift and some moabs on.. goota get a silver XJ first..
love the ice cicles(sp?) on the back bumper... gotta love chicago winters thank god they are over for the year :D

rcnerd said:
I'm running four temp spares there sweeeeeeeet:scared:

I really did see that on a honda the other day while walking to the bank.

Had two temp donuts on the drivers side, didn't get to see the passenger.

im planning on swap over to 16" when i get a real front axle and the brakes wont fit in a 15"...

for now i run these -
058.jpg

i like em.

Back