• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 27 to 29 spline

W

WA-HCXJ

think this will be neccisary? i have a 96 cherokee with a 27 spline rear, have broke one shaft with 31's and open, im goin to 34's and welded in the rear this month, and am worried about the actuall carrier strength and shafts strength, i was thinking of going to some alloy shafts, but is the 27 to 29 spline changover possible? easy? just a bolt in affair? and you think alloys will make everything work without breakage? my right foot has been getting lighter lately, but i am by no means nice to my cherokee.

You should only need the side gears and shafts, everything else is the same. You said you welded in your axle, you didn't mean that you made it full posi...right? If you didnt get any weld on the carrier or the axles you should still be able to do the change over

Remove the cover
Remove the centerpin, Its held in by a small bolt, it takes a 5/16(6 point) socket and 1/4 drive ratchet to break it loose, then turn it out by hand.
Slide out the pin, push in each axle and remove "c" clips then carefully slide axles out.

Rotate the side/spyder gears out of the carrier.

Reverse process with install of new side gears and axles

Ive got a bunch of open carriers in my shop, If I can figure out what is what I'll measure and hopefully give a correct answer even if it proves me wrong...I'd prefer to give the right answer so I'll check.

91 Jeep Project said:
You just need the carrier and shafts. And it'll help a bit to minimize breakage.

is there much of a difference between the 27 spline alloys and the 29 spline alloys strength ? i dont have much contact patch with the 34x9.5's but it does have a healthy 4.0 and a manual trans. and do you know what year the 29 spline changeover was, IIRC, 97, but im not totally sure. also, housings are the same between the 27 and 29?

WA-HCXJ said:
is there much of a difference between the 27 spline alloys and the 29 spline alloys strength ?

The difference is the same percentage wise as if you were talking about non alloy shafts. Alloys (at least the Yukons) are the same dimensions as the stock shafts only the material and heat treating is different. Accoding to Yukon, 1541h alloy is 20 to 25% stronger than stock.

xjtrailrider said:
Ive got a bunch of open carriers in my shop, If I can figure out what is what I'll measure and hopefully give a correct answer even if it proves me wrong...I'd prefer to give the right answer so I'll check.
You can measure but 91 posted is correct. There was a guy here locally who was trying to find a right carrier in a hurry when he was upgrading his 27 spline axleshafts to 29spline allows when the shafts no longer fit through the openings Oh yeah, did I mention that his axle was torn appart for a regear at that time? :D

Im going to go with Kejtar and say "yes, you need a new carrier" since the ones that I have are different size bores at the journals. Yes I was wrong now everybody can verbally abuse me!

Funny I've never noticed but then again I never put an open back in anyway, always lockers!

If you go that far might as well just lock it and be done with it.

how can i tell what spline count i had if some 96's had 29 spline, short of pulling a shaft and counting. is there something in the VIN, or a serial number on the axle i can check? i got a 96.

WA-HCXJ said:
how can i tell what spline count i had if some 96's had 29 spline, short of pulling a shaft and counting. is there something in the VIN, or a serial number on the axle i can check? i got a 96.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,........ :D

BAH, fine. its gettin regeard in a week or so, need to find a 29 spline carrier. just in case.

Back