• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" rusty's lift...brakeline extension??

5spd_xj

<<the good ol days
NAXJA Member
hey, i just purchased a rusty's 3" kit off someone on here, but he didn't have the rear brakeline extension...do i really need it at this height, or is it something i can install, try out, and see afterwards if its necessary for me? if i do need it regardless, whats a good place to order this from??
thanks in advance,
Travis

Replace the rear rubber line with one from a 95 Wrangler. JIM.

Or get a Dakota rear brake line. It's way longer and I think longer than the Wrangler one. It was like $22 bucks from Autozone? When lifting things, don't wait to do your brake lines. They are kind of important :)

I was able to get along ont he street for a few weeks until I got around to installing the rear Wrangler brakeline by just unbolting the block on the axle.

The rear line was 18.00 at Napa, and yes, it is necessary.

gotcha...just wanted to check, thanks :)

actually, hold on... am i better off getting an extension,or a new rear line?? how hard is each to install? if i should get the new rear line, what exactly do i ask for at the parts store?
thanks,
Travis

5spd_xj said:
actually, hold on... am i better off getting an extension,or a new rear line?? how hard is each to install? if i should get the new rear line, what exactly do i ask for at the parts store?
thanks,
Travis

all the brake line extension is a samll bracket that raises the height of the mounting point on the axle,,
a longer line isn't really needed for 3"

just cut or disconect the bracket fixing the hardline to the ~frame rail and bend it downward a couple inches, i ran mine that way with 3" for about a year and wheeled the snot out of it with no problems..

You want the rubber line from a 1995 Wrangler. It's real easy to install, just three flare nuts and a clip. Be sure to bleed your brakes too. It took me about 15 minutes last week on my 98.

For $18.00 and 15 minutes, it's really best to do it properly. I wouldn't disconnect the hardline at the frame myself for any length of time. If you get longer travel shocks you'll easily max the stock one out.

alright yeah, i got shocks with the kit, so i'm gonna head down to the store and get the rear rubber line from a 95 wrangler...thanks mucho for the input, and anyone else, feel free to add more comments :)

Here is a post of mine from a different thread. I highly recomend this setup for your lift. I have since gone to 4.5-5 inches and still have plenty of length. In addition it was totaly bolt up affair. I also like that you do not end up with the long hard pipe on the front like you do with the YJ lines.
:cheers:
Here is the thread and my post:

CLICK 4 THREAD

One of my posts from a different thread said:
So, I can verify that the GM brake lines work great. Just picked up a set at NAPA and installed them. I am on a 3 inch lift right now and if anything they are too long. I forgot to measure the stock but I would say they are a good 4-5 inches longer. Deffinetley plenty of length and it is a bolt on affair. Only a tiny modification needed. You have to slightly pry open the mounting bracket and slide it to the top of the line. I am happpy I chose this over SS braided or the YJ lines. I really did not like the way the YJ's had that huge hard pipe sticking out. The GM's hard pipes on the caliper end are only slightly longer then stock yet seem a little thicker.

I will post some :photo:'s if I ever get my lazy arse around to it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaItsSlo
What do we do about the rear now?? :)

As far as the rear goes, I went with the '96 Dakota 4x4 rear that people where recomending. Straight bolt on with no mods needed. It does have clips for ABS line on it that I suppose you could cut off so they don't get hung up on anything but I really don't see the need.

NAPA PART NUMBERS:

FRONT GM LINES

1996 4x4 Dakota center rear brake line

is this what i wanted to get?? dude at the store didn't know, so we kind of guessed hah...lmk, thanks
100_4109.jpg

niiiiiiiice :) lucky guess hahaha...thanks alot

Okay, noob here. Just wondering if a 95 Wrangler line will work on my 94 XJ with RE 4.5 and 31's? I know the rear is stretched, but how bout the front lines. Do I need to replace them and if the wrangler lines won't work, what will? Just curious? :greensmok

You can use the wrangler lines front & rear. JIM.

looks like the rear brake line i bought from autozone for a dodge dakota. it's so much longer than stock!! i don't know the stock number but it was like 22 bucks or something close to that.

Back