• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering problems

jeepbub

NAXJA Forum User
I have just lifted my 90 XJ for the second time. I had a 3 inch and went to 4.5 inch. With the 3 inch I didn't have any trouble with the steering, but now I do. It does not steer as far to one side as it does to the other. If I turn the wheel to the right it only turns about half of the distance that it does if I turn it to the left. I put a new steering box on it thinking I messed the old one up when I did the lift.

My question is. Is there any adjustment that I can make to correct this problem? What did I do wrong to cause this? I have bought a track bar relocation bracket, but I redrilled for the difference already.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

Check to see if your draglink to tierod connection is hitting your quick disconnect.

Mine was and took some heat and bending to get it to clear.

Otherwise...Look for the SHINE from rubbing. Or get someone to look at it for you while you turn the wheel back and forth.

You may also want to see if you somehow have your draglink too long. Meaning your steering wheel isn't centered. Its like 2.5 turns lock to lock. Gotta make sure you start with it centered before adjusting the draglink to length.

Did you recenter the axle under the jeep? Might be time for an adjustable track bar.

Back