• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSC Steering

Stouttrout

NAXJA Member #1282
Is anyone running one of thier set ups? I put one on the 2000 and it is not performing well at all. Maybe I have something hooked up wrong I don;t know. Was hoping someone out there had the same set up with no problems. I have the Box and pump with auxiliary reservoir. Anyone? Any advice would help.

I have a 99 I put a PSC box on and it isnt working well for me either. It literally feels like there is no power steering at all.....

Do you just have the box? I am about to go get a new pump from the auto store and try it. I would like to eventually go to a ram assist and use their pump but I need it to work NOW!!

Stouttrout said:
Do you just have the box? I am about to go get a new pump from the auto store and try it. I would like to eventually go to a ram assist and use their pump but I need it to work NOW!!

yeah right now I have just the box and the stock pump/..

I've been running both the PSC pump and steering pump for more than a year now. No problems at all with the setup (I did have problems recieving the right pump when I ordered it).

Rick

Hatchet said:
yeah right now I have just the box and the stock pump/..

Which box do you have? The small bore or big bore? Your problem, if you have the big bore box, is that the stock pump may not put out enough pressure for the bigger box. Have you called PSC about this? If not, that is where I would start.......................

-Mike

I have the extreme box, Big bore I would imagine, it is the one with the 3.125" piston. However a buddy of mine has the exact same box on his TJ with the stock pump, Dana 44 & 37" creepy crawlers and it steers pretty well. Mine is still on stock rubber @ stock height and steers like crap.

Hatchet said:
I have the extreme box, Big bore I would imagine, it is the one with the 3.125" piston. However a buddy of mine has the exact same box on his TJ with the stock pump, Dana 44 & 37" creepy crawlers and it steers pretty well. Mine is still on stock rubber @ stock height and steers like crap.

Have you talked to PSC? I know plenty of people with the big bore (extreme box) and the PSC pump and it works great on rocks with 35's and larger.

-Mike

91 Jeep Project said:

WOW!!! That clears up alot. I will work on it some tonight and call them for that bracket that attaches to the brake booster. I know now that my reservior is too low. They really should send a list of suggestions with these. I have AGR's stuff on my Scrambler and it came with great instructions. PSC has none.

I did a search for PSC and found nothing on this site. I think I need to I think I need to do a refresher course on searching :D

You need to call PSC. My guess is your pump isn't pushing the flow you need. Having the res too low will just cause the pump to whine not cut the power.

Did you bleed all of the air out of the system? Are you sure?

Lincoln said:
You need to call PSC. My guess is your pump isn't pushing the flow you need. Having the res too low will just cause the pump to whine not cut the power.

Did you bleed all of the air out of the system? Are you sure?

Yeah I am going to call them first thing in the AM. I do have way too low though. Yes I blead the system out but with it as low as it is I may not have blead it as good as I thought. I need that bracket that hooks to the booster for one. That would make a huge difference.

Even where I have mine mounted I pulled it loose and raised it while bleeding the system. It took me a while to get all of the air out. I would think it was done and then another bubble would pop up.

Called PSC and talked to Kelvin. The Booster bracket should be here today. That will get it out of the way and alot higher. I also picked up and small 12v fan at the computer supply and a cooler at the parts store. That should help too.

Dan

I have the whole system on including a cooler. I put the bracket on it that mounts tot he Brake booster. I am still getting a whine in it and at idle it will start to turn then lock up. Any ideas?

Stouttrout said:
I have the whole system on including a cooler. I put the bracket on it that mounts tot he Brake booster. I am still getting a whine in it and at idle it will start to turn then lock up. Any ideas?

You didn't get all of the air out of the system. Also it sounds like you didn't prime the pump.

Back