• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Diagnose Rear Wiper Arm That Broke - 94 XJ

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
Last night while trying to get the ice off the rear wiper, I ever so slightly lifted the rear wiper arm and it just snapped. I guess old age and brutal cold don't mix. However, I do not know if just purchasing a rear wiper arm will fix the problem because I do not know what piece broke. Is the piece that is broke part of the actual rear wiper arm or do I need a different part?

Here are a few pics of the break. Thank you guys!

2251305_10_full.jpg

2251305_11_full.jpg

2251305_12_full.jpg

What do I need to fix this break... Something like this?
q469898.jpg

The piece that broke part of the wiper arm assembly. I've had pretty fair luck getting them at the local auto parts store. What you've got pictured is what I bought, albeit complete with the wiper blade. You might have fun getting the old cap off the splines, though.

yes new wiper arm will fix you up....But like ChiXJeff said getting the old one off maybe fun....try using an open wrench that will fit over the wiper pivot and pry the old arm off...the wrench will provide you with a more even pull on the arm....where as a screw drive or such may XXXX it making it more diffulcult to remove

There's a little spring catch at the bottom of the base, that needs to be released to get the arm off. That's assuming that it isn't corroded solidly on.
Sometimes you can get it loose by taking a big pair of vise grips, clamping the part endwise and pulling as you wiggle it. If worst comes to worst, you can take a small Dremel cutoff wheel, grind a groove into it, almost but not quite deep enough to hit the splined shaft, and then split it open.

I suggest that while you have the arm off, you check very carefully to see that the bushing in the shaft is not seizing up from corrosion too. Now is the time to take the motor apart, and clean and grease that shaft before it stalls and either burns the motor out or strips its gears.

Back