• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with stock flairs??

xjhd4me

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i took the stock flairs off today to paint the ugly gray they have turned and i broke all but the rear passenger metal things that hold them on to the body, someone must have broken that one before me as it's new. anyway does anyone have these for sale like i said i need all but the rear pass. side for a 97 2 door...thanks

I recently priced these out from my local dealer $268 canadian for all of them--ouch!!I'm waiting till my flairs fall of

Do you mean that you broke off some of the studs? You can drill those out and use bolts. If you must replace them, they are still available new OEM from the dealer, though they are not real cheap.

I'm planning on doing this soon, too, to my '97 2-door, so I'd be interested in hearing how it all went for you and maybe some pics when you're done. Also, what paint and prep you use, etc.

Don't know if it matters, but you can sometimes work the fade out of the black pastic by going over them with a heat gun. Not so much to melt them, but when they get hot enough you can see them get blacker. I tested an interior peice w/success. If you try it, be careful. I hear a good blow dryer will do the same.

i should have just left them on there and masked them off, and saved myself the headache. thats what i did to the bumper caps because i was feeling lazy today but for some reason not lazy enough to brake those stupid little studs. i can't really complain much though i did get alot accomplished to the xj this week- stock front skid, transfer skid, made my own tow brackets with shackles on the front instead of hooks, installed jks quicker discos and modified a zj skid for the gas tank and herculined the whole floor inside, mounted a shovel, tow strap, and fire extinguisher, and figured out that my sister in laws new kj has a 8.25 rear with disks which will be an exact bolt on to the xj without having to modify the e-brake or anything else, i told my brother i was swapping his wifes kj to rear drums haha i wish

It has been a while but I seem to remember pricing the fender mount and studs that hold the fender on for somewhere around $20-30 from the dealer. But then again I could be way off. This was for a '98 so it should be the same.

I've broken so many of those studs I've given up on them. My tires bent almost all of them, replaced them and got more lift, now they just snap when I try to remove them. I'm trying to gather 4 TJ rear flares and try them for a while. The Rusty's flares and bushwackers are just too expensive for something that's going to get ripped off.

Just take some 10mm x 1 1/2 bolts and some flat stock and put them back on. Cut the flat stock about 2" in length and drill them out for the holes. No need to have to spend the 250.00 dollars on the flare mounts.

well i drilled out the broken studs and brazed in some 1/4 20 bolts in their place and put them back on what a pain in the... i tried getting some at the local u-pull it but of couse they just snapped off too, oh well at least it's back together now thanks everyone for your help on this

well i drilled out the broken studs and brazed in some 1/4 20 bolts in their place and put them back on what a pain in the... i tried getting some at the local u-pull it but of couse they just snapped off too, oh well at least it's back together now thanks everyone for your help on this

Hope you used stainless studs and nuts or you might be doing it all over again. :bawl:

Back