• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pull the gears or whole axle???

irish636

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 99 with a 8.25 with 3.07's. i found a 98 at the junk yard that has 3.55's. would u guys just pull the gears or the whole axle?? mine should be a 29spline and the 98 would be 27 spline right??? thanks guys!!

If you're seriously asking this question, pull the whole axle. Used gear setups (and you *WILL* have to do that) are more difficult than new gears. old_man has a good post on this.

27 to 29 spline conversion happened in 96, IIRC.

Grab the whole axle as an axles swap will probably be faster and easier than swapping gears. I'm guessing the price wouldn't be too much higher and you get a spare set of axles out of the deal.

CanMan said:
Remember, the fronts MUST be 3.55's as well, if you use 3.55's in the rear!

Unless your rig is 2wd.

the front must match if you're going to use the 4wd... you can drive with mismatched gears as long as you stay out of 4... so swap the front before your next wheeling trip

If you can't or don't want to swamp the gears your self. Swamp the defs. Installing gears at home is NOT imposable but can be time consuming at times. Best to get a bud that has and let him walk you through it.

A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
WORK SAFE.

IslanderOffRoad said:
the front must match if you're going to use the 4wd... you can drive with mismatched gears as long as you stay out of 4... so swap the front before your next wheeling trip

What about front non-disconnect axles (which is what I believe he has)? The driveshaft still turns even in 2WD. Can you still run mismatched gears?

M4Madness said:
What about front non-disconnect axles (which is what I believe he has)? The driveshaft still turns even in 2WD. Can you still run mismatched gears?

Yes. so long as you don't actually use 4wd it is perfectly ok. If you're really concerned you could always remove the front driveshaft until you get them matched.

M4Madness said:

silly question - if in the case of an NP231 (which only has part-time 4wd options) could you not run a lower gear in the rear than the front (say 373 rear and 355 fronts) without doing damage? The fronts would only be driven when the rears slip fast enough to catch up to the speed the fronts would need to be at in order to have power transmitted to them.

No, as the difference in gearing WILL catch up ALOT quicker than what you believe, and then the entire 4x set-up will bind, then break something, usually the X-case, as the binding normally is in the case.

bcsavage said:
silly question - if in the case of an NP231 (which only has part-time 4wd options) could you not run a lower gear in the rear than the front (say 373 rear and 355 fronts) without doing damage? The fronts would only be driven when the rears slip fast enough to catch up to the speed the fronts would need to be at in order to have power transmitted to them.
NP231s drive both front and rear driveshafts at exactly the same speed. They don't have a differential between the front & rear like an NP242 does when set to the "full time" position. Running an NP231 as you're suggesting will bind up the driveline and break parts.

It's called "part time" because it's not intended to be used all the time.

Now, to *REALLY* make your head explode...... what's REALLY critical is that the ground speed (as measured at the outer tire tread) matches front and rear. Generally, tire sizes match front and rear, so everything else has to match. If you get the right tire size up front and the right tire size in the rear, it's occasionally possible to run different gears in the diffs so that the ground speed works out the same.

Back