• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Pin/Screw

jcjeeper89

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to find a replacement or somewhere I can buy an exact door screw/pin for a 97 XJ. This isn't the large pin for the hinges, but a smaller pin for the door stop. Someone tried to replace it but its too small, ends up moving and makign a terrible poping sound.

And ideas where I could find one? Here's a picture incase you are confussed. Thanks!

IM000149.jpg

IM000150.jpg

dealer sells them, or sometimes these things have a tendency to fall into your toolbox while your at the local pick-n-pull ;) Just in case your wondering...they are called roll pins

Last edited:
It is amazing how loud such a small difference in fit can make. The noise is a result of a loose fitting pin, whatever is used. When the internal roller rides over the cam on the strap, the strap "pops" into place as a result of the slop in the pin. I have tried to use nails, etc. but a roll pin is best, even if you buy one without the swell on one side at True Value. It will stay in place if the fit is tight. I don't remember the size, but they do have one that fits. I think they are avalable in 1/16 sizes.

Pop them out with a pair of channel locks in about 2 seconds. The duckbill head design is perfect for getting on the bottom of the pin while the top jaw is out of the way enough for the pin to pop up when you squeeze.

Jeff

(I pocketed a few spares from the junkyard, too :))

bfred said:
dealer sells them, or sometimes these things have a tendency to fall into your toolbox while your at the local pick-n-pull ;) Just in case your wondering...they are called roll pins
damn i hate it when that happens. sometime you get accused to taking/borrowing/stealing. damn sensors jumped into my pocket at the pick n pull.

The pin laying on my living room carpet for the past 2 years :D has a 1/4" outer diameter (.249 to .252 on the calipers) and roughly 5/8" length of the "working area". Overall length roughly 1 and 3/8". If you find a bolt with exactly .25" diameter including thread, you may want to make sure you have some sandpaper on hand just in case it needs some cleaning up to fit through the hole (since the pin does get slightly compressed).

Thanks a lot, just got back from home depot with a 1/4 DIA 1 1/2" long Tension Pin. Im not gonna try it out till sunday but if anyone else does let me know how it goes.

This didnt work for me, the pin still moves around and I think it might be the hinge on the body thats faulty. Can you order this anywhere or do I have to make a trip to the junk yard?

But its just going to be the same 1/4" diameter and its not going to stop it from popping. The opening it sits in is in oval shape so its not helping much.

As the bolt tightens it will pinch the door stop between it and stop the popping sound. Be sure to use a nylon nut so as to not loosen up and fall off and also be able to adjust the friction of the pinch.

SpoungeBob

Back