• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 TC Bolt Question w/photo

F9K9

Semper Fi
My rear housing on my 242 is cracked. I picked up a parts NP242 and plan on using it housing on my front housing that is in the XJ. I am trying to split the parts 242.

I am trying to split transfer case. All of the rest of the bolts are 15mm. It is not a Torx socket or a internal star socket. The torx rounded it pretty much off and I can probably get it out with a vice grips but I will need the correct socket for the TC that is in my XJ because it will be at the top and vice grips won't work there. Any help would be appreciated.

ea56adcc.jpg

Looks like a regular 12 point bolt. count the points. Use standard 12 point socket... Though you'll probably have to pound it on now...

crunked said:
looks like it might be a 12pt to me
bfred said:
Looks like a regular 12 point bolt. count the points. Use standard 12 point socket... Though you'll probably have to pound it on now...
Thanks guys. That dawned on me after I posted, put the tools up and went to play some with the pup. No wonder my searching proved fruitless.

I did manage to 2 buy new socket sets without a hassle from my wife. I wonder why they would go to the trouble to use that 12 pt bolt when all the others were 6 points.

Reed

usually used in a spot where theres not alot of clearence. That spot on the tc would be hard to fit one of the other bolts into, I would bet!

subtle_driver said:
try a 12 point socket

I will plan on that now. I stopped buying 12 points over 30 years ago when they were notorius for getting rounded out when I worked at a Sears auto center in college. I will pick up a set tommorow. I know that I will eventually need SAE and metric sets but, does anyone want to venture a guess at these 12 pt bolts being SAE or metric if, the rest seem to be metric.

parkeruph said:
On my 2000, a 1/2" 12 point fits snuggly, not saying it will on yours.

Still a coin toss between SAE or metric. Guess I will buy both or wait for another contestant since I am taking off work tomorrow to solve this newby problem.

I sincerly apperciate all the help from all of you.

Stay Safe,

Reed

If the rest of the bolts are metric you can pretty much guess that one will be metric. 1/2" & 13mm are almost identical But if the other bolts were 15mm nothing standard would really fit right-safe bet they're metric.15mm is 1/2 way between 9/16 and 5/8 you would definetly know the difference

F9K9 said:
does anyone want to venture a guess at these 12 pt bolts being SAE or metric if, the rest seem to be metric.

I can't quite tell from the picture, but it looks like "10.8" stamped in the end of the bolt which would make it metric.

Correct on the 10mm. Try pounding a 9mm on it to get it off. I replaced that bolt with a hex head for ease, it is the same size as all the others just and inch longer.

LOL - I was just a shade late to help. I bought a spare 242 to put in a sye while still being able to drive the xj. I cracked it open just the other day and could have answered about that bolt. Sometimes you really have to wonder what the engineers know that you don't know - and I don't mean this in a critical way, I am genuinely curious. The tcase halves are held together by a bunch of bolts all around - but - the 2 end bolts have washers, the others don't, and then there is that 12 pt 10mm bolt that is waaaay longer than needed for its application....I'm sure there is a reason for this, and only the engineers know what it is.....

I managed to get it done and test drove it. I wonder where my head was at when I was thinking about replacing the rear main seal today. This one fanastic forum and the links to other "how to"s made me try stuff I never would have thought about doing. Tom Woods version of the HnT is on my list now that I have a core too.

Don't let anyone tell you driveline vibrations are not that bad.

ea53cb5c.jpg

ea76ea90.jpg
ea76ec28.jpg

Thanks once again for all the help from everyone:thumbup:

Back