• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Bumper install ?'s

They have changed their tie-in brackets since the install writeup was done. It's fairly obvious where all the bolts go and what to do. The main difference with the new brackets is you will need to cut or bend a fender support bracket out of the way. You will also need to fully remove all 3 steering box bolts and you will most likely break at least 1. Be prepared to break that cheap aluminum spacer and heat and beat the aluminum off of the bolt and then use vice-grips to finish removing the broken bolt. The tie-in kits don't provide bolts for all the holes in the brackets, but as long as they are all used and spaced out there shouldn't be an issue with that.

kunaji said:
You will also need to fully remove all 3 steering box bolts and you will most likely break at least 1. Be prepared to break that cheap aluminum spacer and heat and beat the aluminum off of the bolt and then use vice-grips to finish removing the broken bolt. The tie-in kits don't provide bolts for all the holes in the brackets, but as long as they are all used and spaced out there shouldn't be an issue with that.

We have started to include all the hardware pictured here:
unibodybrackets.jpg

We don't include bolts for the 3 steering box bolts that are drilled on the passenger side. You can fit 2 1/2" bolts in on the passenger side, but sometimes they don't line up perfect. This seems to vary a little bit from jeep to jeep. And one of the holes would need to be drilled out, as part of the sway bar mount blocks the hole.

We are going to offer inner steering box triangle spacers soon, as well as inner braces for the passenger side.

I ordered a stage 2 front bumper on Friday. What other bots would I need to get… sizes would be nice also so I can have them and the proper drill bit ahead of time. I know 2 1/2" but what size?

Looking forward to front recovery gear!

Woodchuck

You can do a full install with just the bolts provided and it will be plenty strong for most recovery. The extra bolts will just add more reinforcement. Once you have the bolts provided installed you can come back at any time and stick the extra bolts in. You may or may not need to drill holes on the passenger side of the framerail, mine will require me to very slightly clean up a single hole to fit the bolt through.

The problem I was having was with the fender supports being in the way of the unibody tie-in. But we just bent them back a bit and everything is fine now. Im waiting for my friend to send the pics of the paint/install process. When I get them Ill post em up.

THANKS JCR the bumper Looks GREAT!!! Much better than that sheet metal POS from the factory.

Here are a few pics of the new bumper.
Just out of the box
DSCF0023.jpg

Primered
Primeredbumper.jpg

Painted (Rustoleum Flat Black)
paintedbumper.jpg

Installed
installedbumper.jpg

Relocated Vacuum Thing (Dont really know what it is actually) 2 cent Mod!!
2centvacummod.jpg

And finally the carnage we created in my friends garage...
carnage.jpg

Looks good!:thumbup:
Now......go use it.

:D

Hale

i am looking to get this set-up, did it help stiffen things up? I want to work towards reducing the constant door jamb squeaking on the trail.

Uh-oh, zombie thread. Seriously though, thanks for finding it cause I've got a JCR winch bumper on backorder...

i have been battling a cracked driver side subframe for two years.

i purchased the JCR winch bumper with tie ins, once isntalled it stiffened my front end considerably.

i added a M.O.R.E. steering box brace, drilled a larger hole in the passenger side tie in and bolted both brackets together. night and day difference

then i installed an RE trackbar/bracket combo, then added the brace a week later, another great improvement over the bumper+box brace.

my front end is nice and steady now, i do not know how this will affect your xj farther down the body

Just had mine installed in Feb. the instructions could be more detail. used extra bolts and also had to redrill the holes since i have a warn 9.5ti and it fits differently but it looks good and performs well. i did have to add an extra spaC:\Users\crazydave\Pictures\Megarun '08\100_4623.JPGcer to keep the front up.......can't figure out how to post pictures..all well...

Back