• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bucket seat allmost done(pics)

XJhabitat

NAXJA Forum User
Didnt really know if this should go in modified or picture but anyway I had an idea yesterday to put one bucket seat in the rear of the cherokee and make an L shaped box for the rear storage that would come around the seat for storage. I got the seat yesterday from a junkyard and got it in today.. its not finished yet but i got the front mounted down an cut the floor in the back so the seat could sit down a little and i just gotta figure out how to mount it back there. I cut the sliding mounts off so it wouldnt sit as high it still sits a little higher than the fronts but its not bad at all. This is to get more room for whatever and still have room for 3 people.. Its not finished yet

15ym.jpg

27cu1.jpg

31ie.jpg

46ha.jpg

58kv1.jpg

61kr.jpg

Nice work, I dig that idea. Now if you could just figure out a quick removal method for when you need the entire cargo area :p

XJhabitat said:
yea.. theres only gonna be 3 bolts holding it in so i could probly just add some wingnuts for quick removal

With only 3 bolts holding it in is it going to stay put in an accident?

I've wanted to do this too for a while now. But I was told to make it safe I would need to weld up a frame to mount it on and weld that to the floor, IIRC.

well.. three 1/2" bolts compared to four 1/4" bolts holding the front seats in i think it might be okay but its a work in progress so thanks for bringing it up i'll try and see what else i can do for that matter.

headroom seems to be allright i measured about 3-4 inches from the top of my head to the roof and im 5 10".. 8 inches to the roof from top of headrest and plenty of legroom but if anyones got a problem then there riding shotgun

well actually every usually piles up into my jeep since i got the most room and it can be a pain(for me). problem solved :D. id rather have the extra storage

Though intrigueing at the onset, I have to think why one would want to give up the option of being able to fold down the existing rear seat on a whim, to make more cargo room if needed. Buckets sure wouldn't allow for that. :viking:

Ivan said:
Though intrigueing at the onset, I have to think why one would want to give up the option of being able to fold down the existing rear seat on a whim, to make more cargo room if needed. Buckets sure wouldn't allow for that. :viking:

For me it's because I never have more then 3 people in my jeep, never really like to. And I would rather be able to seat 3 people with the extra cargo room, rather then seat 5 with little cargo room, or seat 2 with alot of cargo room. So I'm compromising. Different people have different needs, that's why we customize our jeeps. Just me opinion.

XJhabitat keep us updated. I'd also like to see how you mounted the back of the seat, more pics please. It's looking good.

any updates?? i am going to do this today and i will try to get pics up if i can find the digi cam.

Sweet. I'm adding 2 low back bucket seats out of an '88 in the rear of the XJ I'm building. I figure with 2 buckets, I can build a storage box that goes between the 2 seats for my recovery gear and tools. This way I can still fit 4 if needed. I'll need as much room as possible as I have a 2 door and I'll be retubbing the rear feander wells which will take up storage room.

-Kevin

Ivan said:

Well, without a 60/40 folding rear seat you can't fold any part of it down if needed and [legally] carry a third passenger.

Now maybe if you put some of those "stow and go" minivan seats in the back you could have the best of both worlds :dunno:

funny that this thread pops back up on the day i took them out. i needed to make room for all my stuff i throw in there during the winter. they'll go back in someday

Back