• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 with a locker and disconnect

slipperynova1964

NAXJA Forum User
i was planning on swapping out my 3.07 geared axles i have a dana 30 with a vacuum disconnect. i know it is a no no, to put locker in a front end with out hubs or some way to unlock the front end so you can turn etc.. i need to know if its feesable to use a disconnect 30 to release pressurre that he locker creates and how strong are the disconnect 30 compared to non disconnect.
thanks all

It's normal to lock this front end. It's also not a no-no to lock a front without hubs, people do it all the time. All you live with is a slight clicking or ratcheting sound on real tight turns.

With the disconnect it's a no brainer......lock it! :)

You'll be fine. I run a locker with a disco. It is an automatic lunch box type (aussie)and works fine. I have dumped the vacuum actuator and went with a posi-lock too. Though my vacuum worked fine. The locker will break your stock shift fork though so plan on getting a steel fork from Spicer then your problem is solved. The disco axles are no weaker then the non disco version from my experiance and I have 3 XJs at home. 2 with out and one with the a disco.
You should plan on the shafts from a 30 with ABS though. They have the larger 760 u-joints. YJ abs shafts work too. That is what I'm running.
I'm thinking I have to swap out my whole front axle. I just broke a front shaft and found while replacing it found that the ball joints on that side are toast. They move around in the cup and looks like it has been worn so the ball joints won't seat tight. New housing time. Rocks are fun, but they cost a lot to play on.
Good Luck !

Back