• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Large Auto cooler without blocking the radiator fitted.

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Some may have already seen the start of this modification when I fitted a Ford Taurus fan. This write up goes along with it to show how to fit a 20,000 GVW automatic transmission cooler without restricting air flow through the engine. Not only that, but prevents the now slower moving air being hotter before it even gets to cool the engine and the A/C if fitted in front of the radiator as most are. Fitting a bigger cooler also increases the life of your transmission substancally.
TaurusFan29.jpg

It sits behind the bumper and below the radiator
TaurusFan35.jpg

This shows how the Taurus fan draws air through it. I could have fitted a cooler just the same width as the fan shroud, but went for as big as I could as the section not behind the fan will still radiate heat out.
TaurusFan55.jpg

TaurusFan70.jpg

When I made my bumper, I had already fitted in a vent for the power steering cooler I had mounted there. This has now been removed as using the old auto cooler instead. This vent will help get air in when the fan is not drawing air through but is not critical as heavy work for the auto would mean the same for the engine so the fan comes on at this time anyway. XJ's without the tow package in the US don't even have the extra cooler and use the in tank radiator one only showing that it is fine even if you had no air flowing over it. Just being inline without airflow would still add significantly to cooling as well. But just like the coolers mounted on the underside of truck beds, there is plenty of air to be drawn through from under the bumper without extra venting. Having a winch bumper without the winch would give good flow as well or even holes drilled in the front of the bumper as often seen on Safari Race Trucks if the extra flow is wanted.

See the Cooling Modification section of my web site. http://go.jeep-xj.info
I have had to add more sections again to my index page as have a 124 separate links to write ups and other pages there now not including sub indexes!

Weasel said:
Cool idea but my winch is going there.

Are you taking out the cross member then as this is mounted behind it? You would still get enough air if not taking it out as you would be surprised where the air will be drawn from.

Back