• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np242 help

308turbo

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 92xj got it with a blown transfercase....had the tag on it saying it was a np242 so i went out and got one from junkyard..After puttin it in i realized that the tail housings were different..On the old one the slipyoke went inside and was lubed up and on the new one the slipyoke is out in the open.....works fine and all... Just have one questions because i just put a dana 44 in the rear and its already got the pinion angle set.....My driveshaft is too long now..and im fittin 35 so it got a good amount of lift on it...

Is the new Np242 that i put in longer then the old one????? i have a transfercase drop on it,thinking about taking it out but i still dont think its going to be short enough...

of ya i also had a drive shaft that was from a xj with a 8.25 rear so it was an inch shorter then mine and that still alittle to long

thanks for the help

You can change out the shafts and tail housing between the 2 transfer cases.

but the pumpkin of the D44 is about 2" longer than the 8.25

ok i never done it befiore...but are the shafts different lenths??trying to find out if its not working right because the shafts are different lenths or its just the dana 44 being that but bigger then the 8.25 .....i might even just have the driveshaft cut down not sure yet tho

thanks

lol see thats wear the problem is if u saw wat the old one looked like haha

when i picked it up from the kid it was draggin on the ground and its on 33s haha maybe ill drive around and look for one to measure

thanks

Back