• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the Junk Yard

fscrig75

NAXJA Forum User
I want to start looking around my local junk yards for replacement parts and whatnot to save some cash. Is there a way to ID the XJ, by the VIN or some other way? I'm new to the yard so I thought I'd get some answers before going to one.
thanks

Do you mean you want to identify the year? You could do that with the vin but the easiest way is to look for the tag on the door. Every passenger car sold in the U.S.A. since well...forever has a tag attached to the drivers door or the door pillar. The month and year of manufacture will be there.

And, if you come across one without doors, you can look at the tail lights. Usually the year (last two digits) is on there. It is usually close enough (within a year either way), unless they have been replaced. . .

You can also look at the emmisons label under the hood, on the drivers side of the firewall. That how I find the year of the Jeeps at the junkyard.

For most body parts the year doesn't matter. The "big" change was between 1996/'97, new front and rear and new interior, but even then most of the "hard points" remained the same.

Search around this web site if you have a specific item you want to replace and aren't sure.

Have fun and bring band aids.

thanks for all the info, and about the band aids. haven't ever gone to the yard to do this, so i guess you pull off what you want, take it to the desk and they give you a price? or do you get the price first and then go get it?

I have a small tool box with the tools necessary for most repairs I take with me. Also included are disposable gloves, big trash bags to lay on (keeps the oil off), wire cutters/scissors for electrical parts removal, hand cleaner, paper towels for hand and parts cleaning, hat for the sun, special junk yard shoes, and other implements of distruction. If they have wheeled (grocery) carts, grab one.

"Pick-N-Pull" yards are a great place to learn how to remove and replace parts before you try at home!

There is usually a price list, so ask first. Not all yards charge the same price for the same parts, a complete door may be the same price as the window alone.

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

if you go to the u pull it yard grab every bolt you can find that might help your project. If you come out with a coil spring and 15 random bolt I dont think anyone will care. Plus you start gathering you collection for when you break them.

thanks for all the great info, now i'm kinda looking forward to getting home and going there and seeing what i can find.

Blaine B. said:
Junkyards are a fun place to go, in warm weather.

But not too warm....wasps. :shocked:

I think now is perfect time and may go this weekend. :)

The VIN does have the year in it. The 10th position:

E = 1984
F = 1985
G = 1986
H = 1987
J = 1988

K = 1989
V = 1997
W = 1998
X = 1999

Y = 2000
Z = 2001

I'm not sure about the 90-96 years. But does it really matter alot. Aren't most parts interchangable up to 1999?

lol. I just went to my first Pick-N-Pull last weekend. Not too many around here anymore. I brought a toolbox w/ screwdrivers, pipe-cutters, scissors, most common sizes of wrenches (metrix & standard) and also sockets w/ ratchets & finally my Mechanix gloves. Damn thing probably weighs 50lbs and it got old lugging it around, but it was a blast to look through the vehicles - adult version of a "kid-in-a-candystore". I also had that orange hand cleaner stuff and a towel in the car b/c my wife would kill me if I got grime, etc in the new car.

In the end, I got what I wanted for $25 and wasn't too dirty either. I did knock my knee pretty bad (on the side - hit the kneecap area - hurt like hell!!) on a crumpled up XJ fender, but it was all part of the experience...

btw, make sure you have had a tetanus shot in the last ten years or less. bring something to wash out the wound too, Iodine or peroxide... or at least some antibiotic ointment out of your first aid kit in your car ;)

how do they usually operate? do they usually follow you around, have to call ahead and tell them what you want and they go find it or they follow you around? i live in el paso, and there are junk yards all over the place, most i've ever seen in one area.

I can only speak for the local Southhern California yards.

Walk up to the enterance,
pay $2-,
get your hand stamped,
have your tool box checked to be sure you aren't sneaking any parts INTO the yard (Never could figure that out!),
head on in (see my earlier posts for more),
take your 'finds' and pay the cashier if you found anything,
head out where the gate guys will check to be sure you paid for all the bits that are visable in your tool box,
change out of your junk yard shoes,
head home.

Mike

At the local Pick and Pull they do check your toolbox when you enter, and not when you exit. I thought it should be swapped? Like they should make sure you aren't stealing anything.....vs. bringing god knows what they are looking for in? I know they can't be looking for guns because they don't do a pat down lol.

Back