• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Driveshaft on an 8.8

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hi everyone.

I recently picked up an 8.8 to run on my 94 Cherokee with a 3.5" lift and an AX15/NP231. The 8.8 was under another cherokee, has the perches and everything set up already. The P.O was running an SYE with a front driveshaft. I'm still running the slip yoke and stock driveshaft. I was wondering if I will be able to continue running the stock driveshaft with slip yoke on the 8.8 as I don't have the funds for the SYE at the moment.

Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated.

My 8.8 is not under the truck yet (also a '94), but with a 3" lift and the (relatively) extreme offset of the 8.8 diff, I would think that would put much stress on the output shaft. I understand the tail cone helps control vibes, but it seems like asking for trouble. If the funds aren't available, I guess you could try it and see. I've sent the output shaft from my spare 242 to Tom
Wood's for his conversion and will get the new DS built when the transfer case and axle are under the truck and I can measure accurately.

I just put an 8.8 under my jeep with a sye and front driveshaft and it works for now, only because i am at 6.5 inches of lift and there is little slip left in the driveshaft but i imagine if you are at 3.5" then this setup would work awesome for you
What im tryin to get at is that SYE's are relatively cheap compared to what they used to be so if i were you then just wait til the funds allow you to spend the $200 for an SYE and then just go get a front driveshaft for like $40 and u will be more than happy.

Tazjig said:
I just put an 8.8 under my jeep with a sye and front driveshaft and it works for now, only because i am at 6.5 inches of lift and there is little slip left in the driveshaft but i imagine if you are at 3.5" then this setup would work awesome for you
What im tryin to get at is that SYE's are relatively cheap compared to what they used to be so if i were you then just wait til the funds allow you to spend the $200 for an SYE and then just go get a front driveshaft for like $40 and u will be more than happy.

Part of the issue is time, I'd like to have these axles in for a trip mid march, and I can get the axles in but axles plus an SYE is gonna be pushing it.

Tazjig said:

Another question. I always heard the front D.S. was too short for those of us who run the AX-15... myth or fact?

Back