• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj brake problems...ABS?

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I am buying a 97 xj 4 door i6 auto 148K yata yata. Anyway this is what it does...

When stopping moderately hard to very hard it will slow down fine and then it feels like the front stops grabbing. When it does this it makes a noise that I cannot describe other then the noise you get when your abs is going on or off. I know this is a bad description but any help would be great. I can still drive it fine but any driving on hills or in the snow would be bad now.
Thanks in advance.
Chad

Yes of course, but you see I am saying that it does this when the tires would not slip. The road was slightly(very slightly) wet and I was going about 3-5mph when this happens(it happens faster, and slower too). So I dont think that it is working properly. Thanks though

ya thats what it does. Ok do K will do. Thanks

I agree then, it shouldn't be doing that when in a no-lock situation!

I knew there was a recall on older ABS systems but maybe there's a recall on the newer ones too....not sure!

I read the 1997 xj recalls and I dont remember seeing anything but I will try the vin tomorow after I get her home

can I just disconnect the abs? I really am not a big fan of abs. I am just wondering

hmm well it felt like this one did... Any ideas what it could be?

slcpunk74 said:
I am buying a 97 xj 4 door i6 auto 148K yata yata. Anyway this is what it does...

When stopping moderately hard to very hard it will slow down fine and then it feels like the front stops grabbing. When it does this it makes a noise that I cannot describe other then the noise you get when your abs is going on or off. I know this is a bad description but any help would be great. I can still drive it fine but any driving on hills or in the snow would be bad now.
Thanks in advance.
Chad

I bought my 98' 10,000 miles ago..
I live where it snows for four months out of the year and my ABS would show itself almost daily.
When I replaced the brakes last month, I thought that my ABS might not be working properly anymore...I ended up getting much better braking performance and I now have to "try" to get them to chatter.
Badly worn brake pads and rotors might be causing your symptoms and are definitely worth taking a look at.

I have not checked the rotors yet but they dont give off any vibes. The abs light is not on. I have no idea if it is the abs or not. It just feels like the front brakes lose half their pressure shortly after I press the pedal.

this is all I found for recalls for the 1997 cherokee...

Component: Service Brakes, Hydraulic
spacer.gif
Defect Summary: CERTAIN AFTERMARKET BRAKE HYDRAULIC MASTER CYLINDERS SOLD AS REPLACEMENT BRAKE CYLINDERS FOR CERTAIN FORD, DAIMLERCHRYSLER, AND JEEP PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE BRAKE CYLINDERS WERE SOLD UNDER THE BRAND NAMES OF NAPA, RAYBESTOS, AIMCO, AC DELCO, CARQUEST, BENDIX, AND WAGNER. ONLY PRODUCTS THAT WERE MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 27, 2005 THROUGH JANUARY 17, 2006 (DATE CODES 0529 THROUGH 0602) ARE SUBJECT TO THIS RECALL. WHEN SUBJECT TO VERY COLD TEMPERATURES, AN INTERNAL SEAL IN THE MASTER CYLINDER COULD LOSE FLEXIBILITY AND MAY CAUSE BRAKE FLUID TO LEAK.
spacer.gif
Consequence Summary: LOSS OF BRAKE FLUID CAN LEAD TO A DECREASE IN BRAKE LINE PRESSURE AND AN INCREASE IN STOPPING DISTANCE, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
spacer.gif
Corrective Summary: AFFINIA (BRAKE PARTS, INC.) WILL REPLACE THE SUBJECT BRAKE HYDRAULIC MASTER CYLINDERS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 20, 2006. OWNERS CAN CONTACT AFFINA GROUP CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-323-0354.

AND...
spacer.gif

Component: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Foundation Components: Disc: Rotor
spacer.gif
Defect Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER AND MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, OR WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. THE FRONT DISC BRAKE ROTORS CAN EXPERIENCE SEVERE CORROSION IF OPERATED FOR AN EXTENSIVE PERIOD IN THE "SALT BELT." IF THE ROTORS ARE NOT REPLACED, THE CORROSION CAN EVENTUALLY COMPROMISE THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF THE STAMPED STEEL CENTER HUB SECTION OF THE ROTOR.
spacer.gif
Consequence Summary: THE REDUCED STRENGTH CAN ALLOW THE CAST IRON WEAR SURFACE TO SEPARATE FROM THE HUB, REDUCING THE BRAKE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE VEHICLE.
spacer.gif
Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THESE ROTORS WITH ROTORS THAT ARE COATED WITH A CORROSION PROTECTION.
I dont think these sound like my problem but what do you guys think?

sorry... I checked the vin and there was nothing

well I was counting on that. I am really confused but if I find the solution to this I will post a thread so everybody will know just in case

I have a 97 and disabled the ABS about 3 years ago. I think I pulled 2 fuses and a relay. No warning lights, no OBDII problems, no more poorly performing ABS. And for those who are wondering, I still have the ABS pump and can bleed the brakes with no problems at all. I live in NY where they plug into your computer during the yearly safety inspection to look for reasons to fail your vehicle. No problems there either.

-Jim C

Back