• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding coverage beyond tj flairs

markg

NAXJA Forum User
i have tjs on my cherokee but my 38s still stick out a good 3 inches.ive gotta cover my tires somehow for insp.anyone ever do this?have any pix for inspiration?

Haha...

I'm in the same situation. :)

DSC01161.JPG

tire.JPG

Probably a little worse, as that's more like 6" I need to take care of...:doh:

I'm interested to see what people have done as well.

edit: This is what I used for the 33's because the TJs still weren't wide enough:

inspect3.jpg

Garden edge molding from Home Depot. The inspection guys didn't give it a second glance.

FYI: you won't make it through with 38's anyway, 36" is the max you can have on an XJ.

they make 7" wide tj flares

also its ugly but ive seen tj buswackers used

CanMan said:
Hardly Adv. Fab, but why not just put some smaller tires on just for the inspection? Probably the easiest way to pass.

And easiest way to get your truck impounded shortly after.

As part of the lifted inspection, you get a windshield sticker detailing tire size, door height, and bumper height at time of inspection. Depending on how much you change they can write a "modified after inspection" ticket, void the current inspection, or impound the truck.

Time to move... :D

vetteboy said:
And easiest way to get your truck impounded shortly after.

As part of the lifted inspection, you get a windshield sticker detailing tire size, door height, and bumper height at time of inspection. Depending on how much you change they can write a "modified after inspection" ticket, void the current inspection, or impound the truck.
move to a state where they aren't so restrictive on your inspection. Vermont doesn't record anything on your window and all they care about is if your tires are going to stay on, your not draggin any parts, you've got a catalytic converter(even if it is hollowed out they dont care) and all your lights and blinkers works. sux to have to deal with that. i'd go with the smaller tire idea anyway cuz seriously! How often do you get pulled over in your XJ????? try and keep it straight down the road/ use your blinkers/ make sure your lights all work and than you should be all set no reason to pull you over in the first place! Did i mention not to speed but usually for us Jeep guys its not a problem!

Thats a really anal inspection...here in Ontario Canada its lights, brakes, no holes in the body, no windshield cracks, no exhaust or fuel leaks, all seatbelts work, and nothing dragging on the ground...hell i passed and my 33's stick out 1" and they rub on the back at full turn;)

DangerXJ00 said:
How often do you get pulled over in your XJ????? try and keep it straight down the road/ use your blinkers/ make sure your lights all work and than you should be all set no reason to pull you over in the first place! Did i mention not to speed but usually for us Jeep guys its not a problem!

This isn't a big state, and if the law enforcement decides they want to target a particular group, you're done.

Here's mine when it was "pretty"...

trxus1.jpg

and there were several times I had to remove it from township borders or get impounded.

I got a ticket for having the doors off and a tube door on the driver's side (ticket: unsafe vehicle, no driver door). I took it to court along with a bunch of printouts from government crash testing descibring what a door was etc. and got the ticket dropped. I carried the court record in the glove box just in case.

So given that the last pic got me almost impounded multiple times, whaddaya think they'll say about this?

DSC01162.JPG

Should be an interesting inspection battle with this one...

And to those saying "just move". :wierd: Like it's really that easy. Just forget the jobs, leases, rent, and insurance....

Wow...a ticket for no doors....what state is that? That is a very very tight inspection and vehicle law. The highway traffic act in ontario does not say you need doors on your vehicle.
THe only tickets I have ever had relating to Jeep was about a year back because my tailpipe was knocked off on the trail it sounded horridly loud, so I got one for improper muffler. Fixed it and the officer dropped it.
Now I work with all the PO's so I know everyone ;)

Arizona only has inspection for people who live in the Phoenix or Tucson areas. When it comes to laws about lifts or wider tires. They only apply to truck as Jeeps are considered station wagons.:laugh:

Back