• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31s or 32s??

XJIDAHO

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting a 3.5" Tuff Country lift installed soon and I was wondering what should I run 31s or 32s? I know it's not much different in size, but I'm having trouble deciding. TC recommends 31s, but my install guy said I can clear 32s with it no problem. Thanks all

i know i have an RE 3.5" lift and while i could definately fit 32s, i have 31s now with minimal rubbing and no trimming. i think if i trimmed a little and got something other than stock wheels i could even run 33s

MoparManiac said:
i know i have an RE 3.5" lift and while i could definately fit 32s, i have 31s now with minimal rubbing and no trimming. i think if i trimmed a little and got something other than stock wheels i could even run 33s

I figure I can do some trimming later if I want to go 33s. Already got aftermarket wheels, I hate stock wheels on anything! I like the Bushwacker cut out flares, but can't spring for them and the lift! So are you thinking 32s?

If you take it off-road and don't plan to trim, then 31" tires would the max I'd run on a 3.5" lift. If you trim, I think 32s would be fine.

FWIW, when I used to run a 4" lift and 32s, they rubbed quite a bit when wheeling in Moab.

I just like the look of the Bushwacker's. I know I can cut and put some trim on it for about $20, which is a nicer price then the Bushwackers by a long shot! My lift guy said I won't need to do any trimming for the 32s, do you think I will?

XJIDAHO said:
I just like the look of the Bushwacker's. I know I can cut and put some trim on it for about $20, which is a nicer price then the Bushwackers by a long shot! My lift guy said I won't need to do any trimming for the 32s, do you think I will?
If you keep it on the road then your "lift guy" is probably right. If you take it off-road with the front sway bar disconnected, then I have no doubt your tires will rub.

Tom R. said:
If you take it off-road and don't plan to trim, then 31" tires would the max I'd run on a 3.5" lift. If you trim, I think 32s would be fine.

FWIW, when I used to run a 4" lift and 32s, they rubbed quite a bit when wheeling in Moab.

Are you running sway bar discos? I'm assuming you would be. I will be installing some and wondered if the 32s would rub then. I've got a buddy who made some for cheap and will help me make my own. I'll probably run the 31s then because I do actually use it off road. I'll probably end up going 6" way later down the road because I really want 33s. I just can't afford all the fun stuff now.

If you trim and bumpstop accordingly, you can run 33's. I got about 4" lift with 33's, but not so great bumpstopping.

But, 31's will work just fine. I used to rock that size but got a good deal on some 33's.

In the end, its really up to you.

XJIDAHO said:
Are you running sway bar discos? I'm assuming you would be. I will be installing some and wondered if the 32s would rub then. I've got a buddy who made some for cheap and will help me make my own. I'll probably run the 31s then because I do actually use it off road. I'll probably end up going 6" way later down the road because I really want 33s. I just can't afford all the fun stuff now.
Yes, I have discos, but I don't have extended bumpstops. So, my suspension articulates quite a bit.

If you decide to run 32s with that lift, trimming and bumpstops will get you there; however, you'll lose some flex due to the bumpstops.

I'm at 6" of lift now with the 32" tires and don't rub. I plan to go to 33" tires. If I ran 33s now without trimming, I know I'd get minor rubbing on the front and rear parts of the flares.

alot will depend on the backspacing of your wheels. I put the RE 4.5 kit on with 32's and 3.75 bs and I couldn't get out of the driveway without doing some minor trimming. The first thing I had to trim was the back lower side of the wheelwell then the front bottom part. Now I'm completely hacked up with TJ flares and have plenty of room

I'm running a RE 3.5" kit and .75" coil spacers with 32's on a 4" backspacing. I haven't had it offroad or disconnected, but it doesn't rub under normal driving conditions. I'm sure I'll have to do trimming to flex it out, even with my bumpstops extended 4" longer than stock.

Back