• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel injector o-rings

pipefitter491

NAXJA Forum User
I need a basic instructions on replacing the o-rinds in my injectors...Also have a leaking freeze plug in the block...Will I have to pull the exhaust off and/or lift the engine? 90' xj 4.0 Tomken long arm kit w/35's Any help will be appreciated

o-rings are kinda simple, I would get 2 packs; I kept scarring one or another the first few times I tried to get the injectors seated.

I have not done a freeze-plug, so I can't help you there.

x2 on getting some xtra O rings. Use clean engine oil to lube them before you install them.

A little wd40 on the o rings help alot on the install.

The freeze plug is not to bad if you can get at it. You can try hitting it in the center with a hammer (not to hard, dont want to knock it into the block) to try and seal up the leak. If that doesnt work take a punch and place it on one of the edges and hit it with a hammer gently so that it rotates the opposite side out of the engine. then take vice grips and wiggle it out. On the reinstall place it in the center of the hole and hit it with a hammer.

Hope that does it for ya.

O-Rings. Relieve pressure at schader valve. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the rail. Remove rail and injectors as a unit. Remove injectors one at a time and replace orings, install back into rail. (You don't want to get the electrical connections wrong). I use Vasoline on my o-rings. When you have all the injectors in the rail, install the whole shebang into the intake, rocking back and forth and wiggling/pushing. I like the Mopar o-rings. I've been having problems with leaky i njectors and the o-rings that come on the replacements don't fit as tight on the inj., making it harder to install.

Freeze plug. Like they said. If you can get to it, don't remove more than you have to. I drive a sharp punch into it, and pry it out. Install new one with a big socket. Put Permatex on it.

I like the rubber type freeze plugs personally just stick it in and tighten the bolt on it. Just my $.02.

Back