• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 no start

foreman1063

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 96 XJ, 4.0L that was in an accident. When I tried to start it a few weeks ago I had no Luck. Apparently the NSS was damaged in the wreck and was not allowing the motor to turn over. I the jumped pins in the NSS plug and it fired right up. Three weeks later(today) I tried to start again and this time it turns over fine but will not attempt to start. It has fuel and all the fuses and relays are good. I pulled off a plug wire and I don't think I have any fire. What could have gone wrong while siting in the driveway for three weeks? Any suggestions? Thanks, John

CPS or a little tiny 30amp fuse in the engine compartment. It's in the fuse box next to the battery. Check it out too, I just recently had that fuse blow and it acts the same as if the CPS went out.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys. That's kinda what I was thinking after reading some FAQ's. Any help on cam pos sensor and related plug locations, maybe even a wiring diagram? Thanks

i had the same problem the other day and mine was a VERY easy fix i took off the distributer cap and there was actually some corosion on part of the rotor so i wasnt getting spark to the plugs, check that since if you are anywhere where it snows/rains you could of gotten moisture in there and corroded it up..JUST A THOUGHT good luck!

Discovered I had no fuel at the rail also. Changed out the computer with my son's 96 and that was the problem. Now I'm looking for a 96 computer.

Beware, CPS does tricks on you, goes on and off with temp swings, especially COLD. Fix one thing and you think you have it cured only to have it happen again, not always right away, sometimes up to and beyond a year later. Trouble is the darn thing will test good until it totally goes out.

Back