• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle breather

luvherinmyjeep32

NAXJA Forum User
how do i replace the plastic axle breather and where would i get one? mine is cracked and i dont need any water in my new d44 rear axle so how do i replace that plastic thing in the axle tube where the breather hose connects? if i cant replace it ill have to just rtv the hell outta it.

luvherinmyjeep32 said:
thats what i figured. does it just pop in or what?
Yes it just pushes in,To remove what is remaining,pry up with a knife and pull it out with pliars or use a pair of side-cutters or wire cutting pliars.
Wayne

luvherinmyjeep32 said:
how do i replace the plastic axle breather and where would i get one? mine is cracked and i dont need any water in my new d44 rear axle so how do i replace that plastic thing in the axle tube where the breather hose connects? if i cant replace it ill have to just rtv the hell outta it.

I did away with the plastic one.

Had the hole tapped and a brass one installed when I had the gears done. It's too easy to break the plastic ones. The upgrade will be far less than a diff fluid change, especially if you use synthetics as I do.

You can pull the axle shaft and shove a rag down the tube on the end of a coat hanger or shotgun cleaning rod to catch any metal filings when tapping.

The other thing I would recommend is to run a vent line up into the engine bay to help keep the water out as well.

Bones :skull1:

Not to exhume this thread, but my D44's breather has broken at the axle tube as well. As much as I like the brass nipple idea, it's just not feasible right now.

Does anyone happen to have the part number for the stock (plastic) breather nipple? Failing that, is there a generic replacement I can use? Both my search- and google-fu are failing me right now.

Does anyone happen to have the part number for the stock (plastic) breather nipple?

Resolved - I ordered both the breather nipple and clamp to go with it for around $8 at the dealer today. Forgot to pay before I left so don't have the receipt with the part numbers; I'll post those once they come in and I've collected them. FWIW, the parts are still available but had to come from the national warehouse, so it taking Thanksgiving into account it'll likely be next week before I have them.

Doing a search as I will be dunking the truck in some mud again this weekend. What were the part numbers you came up with?

I believe the part number is 5206 7508 if I know what you are talking about... can't tell from the picture in my parts catalog if that's the screw version (that holds down the brake line T as well) or the plastic version. It's like $2 from funjeepparts.

Since the dealer apparently only charges like $8 for it, I'd personally go to the dealership - it's pretty darn cheap and they usually have parts overnight, rather than waiting a day or two for the order to be shipped, another few days for the order to be delivered, etc etc.

Back