• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget lift questions

Tweaked

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I've decided I'm going to do the budget lift shown on the http://www.lunghd.com/ website.

Anyways I've gone through it and before I start getting the nessesary parts for it there are few things they left out on the site. For the F150 coils are they from a 4x4 F150 or a 2wd truck? V8 model? Questions I know there going to ask when I call about the coils. I'm in Canada so I don't think the part numbers they gave will be sufficient as I don't have an autozone here. Same questions for the Dakota rear leafs, from a 4x4? engine size?

Where the hell would I get the 1 3/4" front poly coil spacers, and please don't say ebay.

The whole part about the longer shocks up front confused the hell out of me. Are there any longer shocks I can get at like a NAPA/UAP or autoparts extra, or Canadian tire that will fit properly? They said something about bar pin eliminators but I didn't get it really.

I know some of these will be stupid questions to most of you but this is my first 4x4 and I've only had it for 4 months so I'm learning as I go.

jegs has shock extensions for the front so you can use stock shocks and i got my spacers from rubicon express but daystar , rustys, heck any jeep site has them .. oh and yes , ebay has some spacers too ... sorry but they do ..

Will the shock extensions stand up to a little abuse? They seem kind flimsy looking, nothing harsh mind you but have you been using them regularly? I suppose for the spacers I can get a freind to make a set out of metal and then just retain the stock isolators that way I can get them locally. I'm trying to avoid ordering over the net.

Seriously .....dont do it !! I did a BB ..just cause I needed tires really bad ...put 31 BFG mudders on ....and now Im looking at lifting it 4.5 inchs...if your serious about wheelin ...you need more lift....if you just want a good looking jeep ..then the BB will be fine ...but its an addiction ...so save up and get at least a 3.5" lift... go check out BDS suspensions ..and look at there 4.5 kit ....very nice ....just my opinion . I will sell you my kit once I install my 4.5 kit...!! Oh ..and at 2 inches ..its imposible to get your track bar centred..unless you spend more money ....my tracking is of 1/4 inch almost...to close to re-drill a new hole ...not far enough for a track bar bracket ...drives me nuts...

Hogwash. I put as little as I could in my lift. I wanted it lifted, NOW, so I put this exact setup on mine. Ford front coils (the actual part # I found at the time called for F100 coils). Picked up the leaf packs at the yard, cut them in my driveway.

Here's a before & after shot:
Picture022Medium.jpg

MTRLarge.jpg

After some front trimming:
pic024Medium.jpg

pic023Medium.jpg

It flexes JUST fine. Sure, the rear doesn't flex NEARLY as much as the front, but meh, you have to compromise. I did it piece by piece. Lifted it, ran like an idiot for a few days without rear shocks (scary-NOT recommended). Saved up for some JKS quicker disco's, Kevin's Offroad front track bar.

FINALLY getting a locker, went with a Detroit. Not installed, but is on order. Some of us either don't have the money to throw $3000 or MORE at a vehicle which will inevitably get tore up, or some of us don't like putting this crap on credit cards and paying interest like fools. To each his own.

Wish I had better info on what the specifics were on what part #'s I went with. Lemme do some digging and I'll try to get back.

James

XJTony said:
Seriously .....dont do it !! I did a BB ..just cause I needed tires really bad ...put 31 BFG mudders on ....and now Im looking at lifting it 4.5 inchs...if your serious about wheelin ...you need more lift....if you just want a good looking jeep ..then the BB will be fine ...but its an addiction ...so save up and get at least a 3.5" lift... go check out BDS suspensions ..and look at there 4.5 kit ....very nice ....just my opinion . I will sell you my kit once I install my 4.5 kit...!! Oh ..and at 2 inches ..its imposible to get your track bar centred..unless you spend more money ....my tracking is of 1/4 inch almost...to close to re-drill a new hole ...not far enough for a track bar bracket ...drives me nuts...

Well the way I'm going to do it is going to net me 4" anyways so I'm not sure loosing out on half an inch is such a big deal. I do go hardcore offroading just out to have a good time and stock my truck keeps up with alot of the bigger trucks already so I think a BB 4" should be fine for me.

vwkaferman said:
Hogwash. I put as little as I could in my lift. I wanted it lifted, NOW, so I put this exact setup on mine. Ford front coils (the actual part # I found at the time called for F100 coils). Picked up the leaf packs at the yard, cut them in my driveway.

It flexes JUST fine. Sure, the rear doesn't flex NEARLY as much as the front, but meh, you have to compromise. I did it piece by piece. Lifted it, ran like an idiot for a few days without rear shocks (scary-NOT recommended). Saved up for some JKS quicker disco's, Kevin's Offroad front track bar.

FINALLY getting a locker, went with a Detroit. Not installed, but is on order. Some of us either don't have the money to throw $3000 or MORE at a vehicle which will inevitably get tore up, or some of us don't like putting this crap on credit cards and paying interest like fools. To each his own.

Wish I had better info on what the specifics were on what part #'s I went with. Lemme do some digging and I'll try to get back.

James

Yeah if you remember or find out if those coils came from a 4x4 or not and if you pulled the rear leafs out of a 4x4 Dakota that would be great. Why did you run without rear shocks? can you not use our stock rear shocks with the lift? If not is there a longer set or a set off of another vehicle I could run that would fit? Oh and you said something about the front track bar, will the stock one not work with 4" of lift?

Again I know these may be stupid questions to a lot of you but I'm really wet behind the ears when it comes to this stuff

Ok, your new to this, so I will refrain from ripping you a new one. This about the most idiotic thing I think I've seen this week. Think about this for 30 seconds. Think about how much a full size ford weighs. Then think about the v-8's you'll typically find in the engine compartment. Your XJ has springs that are like a slinky. Those ford coils are shorter yes, it's because THEY DON'T MOVE. Hell, I have a better idea, lets swap out the front springs for a couple bricks, and see how it rides and flexes.(not intended to you) For the love of nature, don't do this, for all of man kind. If you want to do it on a budget...use a total of 4 2" spacers up front. $50. It's not nearly as redneck as the f-150 springs, but it'll work, and flex a lot better.

The back looked ok, just don't do the front thing. I'd dont know where you live, but I'd be willing to make you a deal on some 4.5" RE front springs JUST so you don't do this.

green50gt said:
Ok, your new to this, so I will refrain from ripping you a new one. This about the most idiotic thing I think I've seen this week. Think about this for 30 seconds. Think about how much a full size ford weighs. Then think about the v-8's you'll typically find in the engine compartment. Your XJ has springs that are like a slinky. Those ford coils are shorter yes, it's because THEY DON'T MOVE. Hell, I have a better idea, lets swap out the front springs for a couple bricks, and see how it rides and flexes.(not intended to you) For the love of nature, don't do this, for all of man kind. If you want to do it on a budget...use a total of 4 2" spacers up front. $50. It's not nearly as redneck as the f-150 springs, but it'll work, and flex a lot better.

The back looked ok, just don't do the front thing. I'd dont know where you live, but I'd be willing to make you a deal on some 4.5" RE front springs JUST so you don't do this.

Alright so F150 springs bad, just make up some spacers buy some shocks and use the dakota rear leafs then. That's basically the coles notes?

dont use the ford coils if you dont have to, the v8 zj (grand cherokee) coils will give you a good lift with a spacer

green50gt said:

I guess I should be considered a newb as well, even though my XJ does this with F100 coils:
pic040.jpg

pic039.jpg

Looks like it stuffs plenty to me?

James

Looking at that website, I'm positive that's where I got my info. I remember the write up being pretty good.

So I couldn't help you on the Coils part #. Thinking about it, it would make sense that the leaf packs would need to come from a 2WD vehicle, NOT 4WD. 4WD would probably be too much, too stiff. Re-using the main leaf out of the Dodge as an AAL along with the rest seems about right.

Good luck, post up when you get it in!

James

I just did this same lift to my father-in-law's XJ.
I wish I had the receipt still, but we ordered the part that was listed for Ford F150 coils at Advance Auto Parts. (Possibly you could locate the information on autozone.com?) (They were around $55)
(We also bought the shocks mentioned for $23 each)

We got the S10 springs used from a 2wd truck I believe. We used the top 2 S10 leaves & all XJ leaves. (got them for $50)

Wee bought the coil spacers from Rustys Offroad. (around $30)

We got a solid 4" of lift out of this setup.

Here is my build thread:
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=176

Before:
91XJa.jpg

91XJb.jpg

After:
frontdrivers.jpg

rearshot.jpg

Last edited:
I think I figured out the front coil thing, doesn't matter what engine size or if it's 2wd or 4wd there all the same part number and the fact that you used S10 springs is awsome cause there a lot easier to find then dakota springs. Oh and what did you do for the front track bar, did you use the stock one?

Last edited:
Couple quick questions about the S10 leaves:

- What years are applicable? Given the discussion above, I'm assuming 2WD is the winner there.

- How much lift will the S10 setup typically net? I'm hoping for 2" without having to add shackles - am I in the right ballpark?

- What is the procedure for attaching said S10 leaves to the existing XJ springpack? I read the XJ AAL bit on Rock Lizard's website - is this roughly the same?

Thanks all!

Good point about the springs, I had automatically assumed it would be from a 84-91 or there abouts (the square boxy looking ones) but I'm not sure. Any info Jfiscus?

Back