• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to lock: Dana 30 or 8.25 27 spline.

thederrick106

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing alot or research on this topic, both on JF and here. I have yet to find the info i am looking for. This spring i will be putting a locker in my xj. I cant decide which to lock, the Dana 30 up front or the 8.25 27 spline in the rear. My original plan was to lock the D30 but due to-2 people in my local club breaking d30 shafts it has me concerned. I do know that the 27 spline 8 1/4 is stronger than a D35 but not as strong as a D44. I know the rear axle takes alot more stress in 80% of off roading vs the front. Which ever i decide to lock i will be going with a lunch box type locker. I dont have alot of exra $ to throw around and cant afford to be breaking axle shafts every time i go wheeling. I do have a spare rear shaft right now, and if i do lock the front i will be carying both front spares. I only drive my xj on the road once in a while, for fun, for hunting or when going to the trail. I know that a front locker would not have any problems on the road due to the fact i never use 4x4 on the pavement. With a locker in the rear i belive that it could be stressed with normal driving on the road. Most of my wheeling so far consits of mud, woods trails and skid roads. Also i have a 92xj I6 w 6.5" of lift and 35" tires.
I am just wondering what every one on here thinks would be my best bet.
lockrite for the front is 220
lockrite for the rear is 290.
I am leaning tward the front becouse it is cheaper and i think the dana 30 will hold up better due to the fact the front takes less stress than the rear.
Time for a locker, becouse i dislike a YJ with 33s and 2 lockers making it up rocks that i cant.

I wouldnt lock the front unless you put some chromo shafts in since you are running 35's. You WILL break a u joint sooner or later. As far as the rear go's I would lock it, but with a 29 spline locker and pick up some 29 spline shafts at the junk yard. Now you have just beafed up the rear and locked it for pretty darn cheap.

lock the front, i have had both, just front, and just rear, and the front is what gets you where you need to go. dont be a dummy with the gas and you wont have any problems. ive run rocks with a dana 35/30 on 35's with the rear welded and a lock-right front without breaking anything. if you dont see much street time lock the front and weld the rear, then you can follow that yj:thumbup:

i love my d30 lock right! i have also blown out a shaft (due to wheeling with a bad u-joint, yeah dont do that) but other than that i havent had any problems. i also have a heavy foot and 32's. i upgraded the shafts to the 760x and haven't had a problem since. either way you go, if you have a heavy foot, chances are with 35's and a locker with stock axles, your asking for trouble.

jeepme said:
I wouldnt lock the front unless you put some chromo shafts in since you are running 35's. You WILL break a u joint sooner or later. As far as the rear go's I would lock it, but with a 29 spline locker and pick up some 29 spline shafts at the junk yard. Now you have just beafed up the rear and locked it for pretty darn cheap.

Will the 29 spline shafts fit in my housing? do you need different bearings? i have read different things about using 29 spline shafts in the 27 spline axles. some say they will work and some say they wont... what do i need to do to make it work if it really does?

if you upgrade to 29 spl shafts I have a power trax no slip( the good one )not the lock right for 29 spline for sale

And yes, if you go with 29 spline axles, you will need a new carrier. The hole for the axle is smaller on yours.

thederrick106 said:
Will the 29 spline shafts fit in my housing? do you need different bearings? i have read different things about using 29 spline shafts in the 27 spline axles. some say they will work and some say they wont... what do i need to do to make it work if it really does?

Just the carrier for the 29 spline shafts is all you need no bearings or anything else( except the shafts of course). I ve done this upgrade and it works perfect.

Back